What surgery do I need to get done? (photos)

i have already had a quad helix expand my upper jaw. i have a cross bite because my jaw is under developed. i have been told that i need a lower jaw surgery to correct this however when i close my jaw in the position it should be i have a gap created by my upper jaw, will braces correct this or do i need an upper jaw surgery? i feel like my upper jaw is slanted causing my nose to be angled (right nostril smaller) and cheekbone is higher than usual. i feel like I'm being too critical.

Doctor Answers 2

Lefort Osteotomy Upper Jaw Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Speak with your orthodontist.  If this cannot be corrected with orthodontics alone then a Lefort Osteotomy can be done, most likely multiple piece to correct the overbite/overjet and crossbite  that you have.  In addition lower jaw surgery may be needed to gain proper facial balance and a correct bite.  This will be determined when you are ready for surgery (if needed).  Speak with your orthodontist and have a consultation with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
you definitely have a cant in maxilla. If you have a short face, you orthodontist and surgeon will design your teeth to make the lower face longer. So there will be gap and it will be closed after surgery. You most likely need upper jaw surgery as well 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.