Blepharoplasty; Is it possible my insurance would cover the removal of excess skin?

My upper eyelids hang down to my eyelashes. Also I have had small items get caught in the folds of my eye (small piece of rusted pipe) Is it possible my insurance would cover the removal of excess skin?

Documentation Needed for Insurance Coverage

Having your health insurance policy cover some or all of the cost of upper eyelid surgery requires a specialist to verify that the eyelid is partially obscuring your vision. At my practice in Toronto, the Ministry of Health in Ontario covers the cost of upper blepharoplasty if an optometrist documents at least a 50% reduction in a patient's visual field. Requirements in the United States will differ by insurance company, of course, but you will likely need the professional opinion of a vision specialist in any case. Best of luck to you.

You would need to have visual fields restriction to get insurance coverage. This requires a test with the optometrist/ophthalmologist. 

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question Upper eyelid know to be at cosmetic procedure most insurance do not cover for this surgery.

Eyelid surgery insurance

If you fail the visual test and the pictures are submitted to insurance for review it could be approved.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Blepharoplasty coverage.

Thanks for your question.

Some plans will cover Upper lid blepharoplasty if you can prove that the upper lid skin is blocking your vision. Check with your plan to see if they offer coverage in this situation. To determine obstruction you would need to have a  "Visual Field Test" performed by your ophthalmologist.

If you don't have coverage or obstruction upper eyelid blepharoplasty can be performed a s a cosmetic procedure.

I have included a link to blepharoplasty FAQ's below.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid and insurance

You would need to check with your insurance company.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.  

Does insurance cover Upper Eyelid Bleparoplasty?

Insurance plans often cover Upper Eyelid Bleparoplasty (Eyelid Lift) if certain criteria exist, including excess skin and a visual field exam test that documents an obstruction of your visual field (including peripheral vision obstruction). When you have excessive upper eyelid skin it is somewhat like wearing a baseball cap pulled low over your forehead, which will block your vision when you look up. This could cause you to miss something important, like a street sign, leading to an accident. Please see your eye doctor for a visual field exam and then your Board-certified Plastic Surgeon to find out whether or not you qualify for coverage.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Would insurance cover upper eyelid blepharoplasty?

It would be up to your insurance carrier to determine if they would cover the cost of upper blepharoplasty for you.  Some insurances may cover the procedure if there is loss of vision due to the condition.  You would need to have an eye examination with a visual field test to determine if there is any loss of vision due to your issue.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon