Eyelid sagging. Is it safe to have Botox to lift the lids?

I have grave s disease and I had some protrusion during the active stage which has subside quite a lot but I saggy skin and fat on my eye lids which is uncomfortable . I don t want to have surgery , I have had Botox on the frown lines, is it safe to have it to lift the lids or is it going to make them droop?

Will Botox help my sagging eyelids?

Hi Cinzia, Botox can lift the corner of the brow. However, It is not effective at lifting the eyelids. It is possible that you have eyelid ptosis. I would follow up with an oculoplastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Eyelids

Thank you for your question. Botox will not lift your eyelids and may make them drop more. It is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person examination of your eyelid concerns to further discuss your options.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Botox will likely not help sagging of the upper lids with Graves Disease

Botox can be used to elevate the brows in some patients.  However, this lifting will generally have no direct effect on the eyelids themselves.  The swelling and laxity of the upper lids will likely need to be treated with eyelid surgery or possibly non-invasive tightening devices if the laxity is only mild.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately there is no pictures. Botox should lift your brows. I would first make sure that your Graves' disease is controlled. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Botox for eyelid

Some doctors claim to be able to lift the eyelids w/ Botox ("microdroplet") but this is risky and not recommended.  Remember this- there is a difference between lifting the BROW and lifting the LID, two different things.  Botox can lift a droopy brow, somewhat.  But for lids?  Risky. Proceed with caution.  Be well-

Estee Williams, MD

Botox and eyelids

Hi there 

thanks for your question grave's disease exophthalmos is such a source of concern to patients suffering them. I am glad to hear that things are going well. But Botox is a paralysing agent and would not help lift your eyelids. Hope that helps.

Ross Farhadieh, MBBS, MD, FRACS, FRCS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Hello Cinzia1,

Botox would not lift the eye lids (it can make them droop).  If your eyes are affected because of a heavy brow, you can have a slight improvement with the use of Botox to help raise the brow.  But this would not have a large effect on your upper eyelids.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Eyelids NYC

There are times when you an produce a forehead lift from Botox which may help the appearance of your eyelids.  An in person consultation is the only way to know for sure.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you of your question.  Though nothing replaces a full series of photographs or an in-person evaluation, Botox is unlikely to substantially affect your upper eyelid appearance, and surgery to remove the excess skin and fat of the eyelid is probably the best treatment recommendation.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.