Saggy Face at 21? (photo)

what could be the causes for a saggy face ? im 21 years old and my face started to sag 4 years ago and its getting worse , what could be the reasons for this issue ?and how could it be fixed without going under the knife or a needle ? could a jaw / chin implant improve how my face looks ? the first picture on the lift shows how my face is lifted when im lying on my back , and the other on the right shows how it looks natruly,injections will fill in the lines , but i need to get the youthful Appearance at the first picture could facial exercise help ?

Doctor Answers 12

Saggy face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'll go out on a limb here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your face. Your face looks perfectly fine to me. At your age, having anything done will be nothing but a waste of money. 

Exercises, No Needles or Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  Without needles or surgery there is very little that can be done.  Exercises will not help with the volume loss.  A chin implant may help but cannot be assessed well from the pictures.  Facial fat grafting or fillers to the tear troughs and cheeks may help with the other areas of concern.

How to achieve a more youthfull appearance?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Kredish.  It's unfortunate, but some in your situation appear older than they are because of their genetics.  The structure of your face reveals deep set eyes with little tissue volume under them.  


From our perspective, blephoroplasty or Restylane injections can help with the issue.  Because this is a genetic issue, we do not believe that any form of facial exercise will help to restore volume in this area.


You can see before and after pictures of our patients with similar issues and how they did with the treatment (this page is for Restylane injections).  We are also in Los Angeles and offer free consultations.  You can find our phone number under the profile on realself.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Facial Rejuvination for the Younger Aged people in Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

there are many young aged people who look much older than their age, either because of genetics, weight loss, smoking, etc. Facial fillers such as Restylane are great options, as well as facial fat grafting.

Getting a youthful face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


  • Genetics and different ethnicities can cause changes in the face such as volume loss
  • This volume loss is what looks like premature aging
  • Luckily, for men, having a little volume loss is relatively masculine
  • To slow this process down, injections with fillers like Restylane can help make the face more balanced
  • Your chin looks fine on frontal view and an in person consultation would be ideal

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Saggy Face at 21?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Common areas of concern include the under eye depressions and loss of volume leading to a sagging facial appearance.  An in person evaluation is recommended to determine what would best address your areas of concern.  However, fillers can greatly improve these areas to restore a youthful appearing by evening out deep lines/folds.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Modest changes in the face at age 27 easily fixed with fillers.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The photograph is not of suitable quality to give specifics, but any contour changes at your age are usually easily treated with fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, etc.).  Surgery is certainly not indicated.

Facial position affects appearance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The picture was taken under poor lighting conditions with your face tilted downwards. Everybody has a sagging face under these conditions. I doubt if you are a good candidate for facial rejuvenation. However, to put your mind at rest, go and see 2 or 3 Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who offer free cosmetic consultations. 

J. Brian Boyd, MD
Rolling Hills Estates Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Options for a saggy face at age 21

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very uncommon for a 21 year old to experience effects of facial aging with the exception of somebody who has experienced massive weight loss. Facial fillers such as Radiesse, Juvederm, Restylane, or autologous fat may be of benefit to provide more volume in areas where you appear hollow. Occasionally, neck liposculpting or a chin implant can help with chin and jawline definition. It is difficult to determine what the best treatment for you would be given the pictures you have provided. I would consult with at least two qualified and experienced facial plastic surgeons for appropriate treatment options. Good Luck!

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Saggy Face at 21?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to see what you are pointing out in your picture. It would be rare for a 21 year old to have any true signs of the aging process and facial aging of any significance. Being that said if you are looking for non-surgical options I would consider facial fillers. They last 6-12 months and can give you volume in certain areas that may be of concern to you. Seek out a plastic surgeon who can consult with you and give you their best opinion. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.