Non-surgical Facelift vs Neck Lift for 51 Year Old Women?

I'm a fair skinned 51 y/o redhead, and I need my jowls/neck lifted. Due to my thin skin and tendency to scar easily (scars from 20 y/o tubal and 10 y/o breast reduction still keloid/red), I'm looking into a "non surgical face/neck lift". Do I have any other options that wouldn't involve scars in front of my ears? How much would it cost? If the results last typically 2 years, can it be repeated later, or once done, that's it? Thank you!

Non-surgical neck lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A non-surgical neck lift does not exist.  There are some skin tightening lasers that may gie about a 20% improvement to the skin but do not produce a neckl ift.

Non-surgical Facelift vs Neck Lift for 51 Year Old Women

It's difficult to assess online without photos to view. Depending on the level of laxity, the effects of a neck lift will certainly outlast the effects of non-surgical treatments. Non-surgical procedures can only temporary resolve the issue and require few to several attempts or treatment appointments. The presence of banding down the front of the #neck, and, amount of excess skin and condition of your skin are among some factors which determine if you are a #candidate for #rejuvenating the neck. During an in-person examination, your chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

Also, if deemed a candidate, you may want to consider Lite-lift™ which is an affordable, quick, and effective innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself. The goal is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.

This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.

A board certified plastic surgeon should evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to suggest which procedure best suits your needs. In some cases there may be more than one option to choose from. If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board surgeon can recommend non-surgical alternatives to address your concern.

Nonsurgical Facelift

There is no nonsurgical facelift that truly works. There are skin tightening devices that are radiofrequency or heat based but none of them truly give you a long term effect.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in facial rejuvenation and the science of facial aging.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Ultrasound tightening like Ultherapy is an amazing alternative for the neck! Also, Kybella is great to minimize the fat right under the chin. Botox in the neck also helps a lot. The right skin care regimen can also help tone the neck. 

Dr. M

Morgan Rabach, MD

Necklift Options

If you are looking for the best non-surgical neck-tightening procedure, I would recommend Ulthera (Ultherapy). Using ultrasound technology, Ulthera uses focused ultrasound to lift and tighten loose skin over time, without any downtime. However, I do agree with the other surgeons in that nothing can quite compare with the fantastic results of a surgical necklift. Non-surgical procedures have to be repeated in order to maintain the look you want, which means in the end you'll likely end up spending as much as you would have on a necklift, which is longer lasting. The cost varies depending on the region. A facelift is considered to be the gold standard in the facial rejuvenation category with the longest-lasting results of any cosmetic treatment.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical neck lift options

Ultimately, a surgical neck lift provides the best contouring for someone with moderate or severe laxity. This procedure could include tightening your underlying musculature to give you a better contour and also removing the excess skin laxity. Together this allows for a much better neck contour. In some instances, some liposuction is also beneficial to reduce the submental fullness.

However, if you are looking soley for a non-surgical solution, I am finding that the combination of Kybella to reduce the sub mental fullness and an energy device to tighten the skin are among the best non-surgical combinations to help your neck concerns.
kybella is an injection procedure that dissolves the fat an may require between 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart. There is some swelling and bruising potential, with the greatest amount with the first treatment.
As far as energy devices, I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the neck. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who has the portfolio of non-surgical options in your area who can help explain the treatment options for you and the limitations of each option, both surgical and non-surgical.

Nonsurgical Face and Neck Lift-ThermiTight

The ThermiTight is a radiofrequency device that targets the underlying supportive tissue to regenerate collagen and elastin, the supporting structures to the skin. This is associated with little to no downtime and can take several months to see the final result. ThermiTight is a great alternative to a surgical necklift in the appropriate candidate. It can produce excellent skin tightening results that allows someone the option to avoid a surgical procedure. There is a limit to how much skin laxity can be treated with ThermiTight so you would need an evaluation to determine if this device is right for you

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical Facelift/Necklift

Thank you for your question.  For obvious jowls and skin laxity, non-surgical options are not ideal and not permanent.  The ideal procedure is a facelift or a necklift.  Your concern about scarring is a very common question amongst patients.  The scars designed for a face and necklift are meant to be hidden within natural skin creases, folds, and hair and normally heal very nicely and inconspicuously.  Though it is important to know your scarring history and tendency, the face does heal much differently than the body and keloids or hypertrophic scarring from a neck or facelift is much less common.  When the scarring is not ideal, it can be treated initially with a simple steroid injection to help soften the scar formation.  Scarring should not deter you from having an in office consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  I hope this helps and best wishes to you.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical Neck & Face Options

There’s a large number of non-surgical procedures that are available for the treatment of facial aging.  Unfortunately none of these procedures effectively treats facial aging when skin sag is present.  For this reason, surgical intervention is usually required when significant facial aging is present.

Without a physical exam or pictures, it’s hard to know what procedure is best for you.  Since you have jowls and redundant neck skin you will probably require a facelift combination neck lift procedure. Under these circumstances, incisions will be placed in front of the ear, behind the ear and beneath the chin.

Although, you have a history of scarring following other procedures, facial incisions tend to heal nicely.  In addition the location of the incisions makes them hard to see. For these reasons, adverse scarring is unusual following facelift and neck lift procedures.

Non-surgical procedures are usually not effective for treating facial skin sag.  For this reason, your options are limited and you will probably require surgical intervention.  It’s therefore important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.  This surgeon should be able to help formulate an appropriate treatment plan. 

Nonsurgical facelift versus neck left or 51-year-old woman

There are 3 components to the aging process in the neck that must be addressed to fully rejuvenate the neck. These are loose facial and neck skin, fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle and looseness of the platysmal muscle itself. There is no non-surgical treatments that can address all 3 components.  When the jowls need to be lifted in addition to the neck work described above, then a lower face and neck lift will need to be performed. For many examples, please see the link below to our facelift photo gallery