I'm a 30 year old male, 5'11 and 180 lbs. What can I do about my sagging neck skin which makes me look overweight? (photos)

Hello. Im a 30 year old male. Im 5ft 11, 82kg, have 22% bodyfat and I workout. My neck makes me look very overweight and im not impressed at all. It makes me self conscious and unsociable. I have seen several doctors but they will not give me liposuction (even vaser) as they say its more sagging skin than fat. I also have large masseter muscles so this adds to the broad neck/face look. What can I do about this? Please advise. Thank you

I'm a 30 year old male, 5'11 and 180 lbs. What can I do about my sagging neck skin which makes me look overweight?

Thank you for your question. An in person examination would be helpful to answer your question. Skin laxity and jowls are best corrected with a facelift. Other options include a neck lift,  liposuction or kybella.  Good candidates for kybella are also good candidates for liposuction.  Patients with good skin tone and mild to moderate fullness will have good results.   Consult with  board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best option for you.

Neck Improvement Options - Under Age 40

Recommendations to Improve your neck appearance following your prior neck lift depends on your exam - Your plastic surgeon will evaluate you for five main features that will determine your best options for improvement:

1.Amount of excess fat (needs lipo or direct removal).
2.Presence of Significant Platysmal Banding (requires playsmaplasy or Botox)
3.Amount of excess Skin and condition of your skin. For example younger age, darker skin colors and no large weight loss history means there will be better elasticity and therefore better post surgical contraction. In milder cases if not too much fat is present there will be enough skin shrinkage with just lipo alone. However for moderate and severe skin redundancy a neck lift or lower facelift (e.g.Lite Lift®, MACS and others),
is needed with or without lipo for best results. Mild to minimal skin tightening using non surgical means like the Sciton Laser SkinTyte procedure, Ultherapy or Thermage could also be considered.
4. Chin deficiency (without adequate chin support your neckline will suffer)
5.Presence of prominent Digastric Muscles or Submandibular gland fullness from laxity or enlargement (partial resection usually best solution)

In your particular case because you are only 30 years old, I would recommend liposuction alone as the first step, see how well you do with skin retraction and if not satisfied consider one of the treatments listed above.

30-Year Old with Sagging Neck Skin

Your problem can be corrected through the use of a neck lift where fatty tissue is going to be removed under direct vision from the superficial and deep portions of your submental area.  At the same time, it looks like you are a candidate for a chin augmentation. Your pictures seem to show that you have an under projecting chin.  In this regard, profile pictures would help to decide if that is indeed the case.

Guillermo D. Castillo, MD
Bloomington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin/Neck contouring

Typically for a relatively young adult male patient like yourself, liposuction alone produces satisfactory results because the skin contracts (tightens) significantly after the procedure.  Exceptions to this include someone who has experienced massive weight loss (~ 50+ lbs.) or a has a genetic defect in the elasticity of the skin.  Nonetheless, a physical exam is still necessary before making any final recommendations on any type of surgery.  glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Neck liposuction

Thank you for your question as this is a common presentation and great outcomes in my practice. You are a good candidate for VASER (ultrasonic) and SmartLiposuction (laser) performed at the same time to remove adiposity or fats as well as tightening the skin in this region.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Neck lift for fat removal in the neck

The photograph shows deposits of fat above and below the platysma muscle. A neck lift( without skin removal) will involve removal of fat above and below the platysma muscle, and a platysma-plasty to give more definition to the jawline.
For many examples of neck lifts, please see the link below  to our photo gallery

How do I address the excess fat in my neck?

From the pictures that you have provided, you would be a great candidate for lipocontouring of the neck. Lipocontouring will provide much sharper, natural definition of the jawline and cervico-mental angle. Improved definition can make you look more fit, more rested, and younger. Reference some before and after pictures in provided link.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck fat

Hi there,

The problem is not loose skin at all.  We all have a different amount of natural fat in our necks.  The best shaped necks look slim. There are other features, for example jaw shape, which contribute to the appearance of the neck, but the natural amount of fat in the neck is very important, and if you've got fat deposits then there is nothing you can do without some expert intervention.

You have natural neck fat, and fortunately it is fixable. It does very well with liposuction, which is ideal as a technique to correct unappealing natural fat deposits in those of normal weight.

It needs to be expertly done, with a fine cannula.  In expert hands it is safe, and reliable.  Your neck shape can be much improved.

There are other possible non surgical techniques for fat removal, but I think they are less reliable.  Others might disagree with me on that, but that's what I would recommend to you.

I think you are in London.  I suggest seeing Mr Chris Inglefield of London Bridge Plastic Surgery for a consultation.  I know him well, he is an excellent surgeon and has the full range of surgical and non surgical treatments available to discuss with you.

If you see him. pass on my best wishes to him and all the best to you.

Yes, the neck fatty tissue can be there even in the most fit of individuals!  A quick, easy procedure is a bit of liposculpting under the chin.  If you are not interested in a surgical procedure, you may consider a skin tightening machine.  I use the Protege Elite which is perfect for this type of treatment (although not permanent).