Sagging Implants? What would make breast implants sit low on your chest wall?

Does it happen more if you have the implants over and not under the muscle? I already had my pre-op and I forgot to ask my PS.

Sagging Implants

There is no question that over time an implant placed over the muscle, especially if it is too large and you had some sagging  before surgery, that it will sag more.  There are other factors probably the most important being the skin envelope.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Low implants

low implants can be a variety of causes: placed low at surgery, thinning tissue over time so implants have drifted with thinning skin, larger that recommended implant size weighting down tissue. Sub muscular implants tend to hold up better over time than sub glandular which in my experience can have the sagging implant look more frequently.

Low Riding Breast Implants

The most common reason for low riding breast implants is placing them too low at the original surgery. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Implants

The shape of your breast before surgery will have more of an effect on where your implants will sit on your chest wall than their placement above or under the muscle.

Implant placement

This is a good question to discus with your plastic surgeon.  It can vary by the position of the implants (above or below the muscle), if your implants are placed through the armpit without a complete muscle release, and a variety of other factors.  Probably best to check in with your plastic surgeon.

Without photos it is difficult to offer any specifics. Most surgeons prefer under the muscle placement in the majority of patients, but there are exceptions. Your question seems important enough to ask here on this site, and it is therefore important enough to ask of your surgeon, before the day of surgery.

All the best. 

IMPLANTS

I PLACE MOST IMPLANTS BELOW THE MUSCLE BUT IT REALLY DEPENDS ON HOW THE BREAST LOOK NOW. ITS ALL IN THE PLACEMENT OF THE IMPLANTS AS WELL.

Norman M. Rowe, MD