Is It Safe to Continue Taking BCAAs, Whey, and Casein Protein Before Breast Augmentation Surgery?

I've been told there are certain vitamins and supplements that are supposed to be stopped 2 weeks prior to surgery, mainly vitamin E, ASA and fish oil. Should I also stop taking BCAAs, whey and casein protein?

Supplements for Surgery

Omega 3 fats (e.g. fish oil, EFA, flax seed oil, Krill oil), NSAID's (aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn), Vitamin E, "blood thinners" and a whole host of supplements and medicines can cause excessive bleeding and bruising and therefore increase your recovery time. When in doubt stay away from supplements unless they are designed for surgery. I offer to my patients specific supplements that speed healing, reduce swelling, bruising and in some cases minimize discomfort (for example Bromelain, Arnica Montanum, and Vitamins designed for surgery.

Bottom Line: Certain vitamins and minerals can speed healing others can cause problems and slow the process down or cause complications. If healing is going well I usually let my patients go back to their usual regimen of supplements

Check with your doctor as only your doctor would have access to your medical history and what would be best for you. We typically allow our patients to continue their supplements 10 days post op if their recovery is going well.

Ask your surgeon

Those may be okay, but you should really ask your surgeon directly as they know your situation better. 

Which Supplements Are Safe To Continue Pre-Op?

The supplements you mentioned (vit E, ASA, fish oil) are known to impair the bodies ability to clot normally which can lead to bleeding problems in the post operative period. I am not aware of any contraindications in reference to the products you have inquired about. Having said that I would recommend that you check with your plastic surgeon. 

I hope this helps. Thank you for the question. Best of luck.

Is It Safe to Continue Taking BCAAs, Whey, and Casein Protein Before Breast Augmentation Surgery

Specifics like these are best asked of your surgeon. I see no issue with the products you ask about. The others that are to be avoided can interfere with normal blood clotting.

All the best. 

Supplements before Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question. Personally, I do not think that there will be any problem with you taking the amino acids and/or protein supplements prior to breast augmentation surgery. However, always best to check with your chosen plastic surgeon about specifics. Usually, there will be a preoperative visit at which point the “do's and don'ts” will be reviewed.

BCAAs, Whey and Casein Protein before Breast Augmentation

Branched chain amino acids, whey protein, and casein should not have any negative implacts upon breast augmentation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA