I had a facelift two days ago and my cheeks look really flat, is this normal?

My cheeks look wide and flat..

Photos will help

Most likely it is related to the pulling and the swelling and will continue to improve.
Photos will help for us to comment.

Impossible to tell final results at two days post surgery

Two days post facelift surgery is not a long enough time to have a good idea of what your final results will look like. Keep in mind, swelling is at its peak the first few weeks following a facelift, so the best thing to do is be patient. If you are concerned, you should visit your surgeon for a follow up appointment so that they can examine and reassure you. I hope this helps.

Facelift: Healing (cheeks)

Without pictures, it is difficult to determine. Swelling and bruising vary from patient to patient. I find that in most patients, it peaks around day 3 or 4. It’s normal to have more bruising or swelling on one side than the other. Lumps and bumps are normal and will usually improve over the course of a week. I find that on average 70-80% of the signs of surgery improve in the first week and 90% by the second week. Depending on what other procedures are performed at the same time, most of my patients feel comfortable out in public with makeup at about 7 days. That being said, be sure to stay in touch with your surgeon. He or She is the one who performed your procedure and is the only one who knows what is normal and what is not when it comes to how you are expected to heal after the procedures that were performed.  

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flat cheeks after surgery

It is difficult to determine the cause without photos.  However, it is likely that post operative swelling paired with skin tightening and lifting is causing the cheeks to appear flat.  This will likely subside as the swelling decreases.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

FLAT CHEEKS AFTER FACELIFT

Without photos it is difficult to tell, but you should see a great deal of change over the next several days. And certainly by two weeks or so you should see a substantial improvement.  

R. Scott Yarish, MD

2 Days Post-op

Thank you for your question. At 2 days you are right at peak swelling which can blunt many of the contour changes achieved from a facelift which will show themselves over the next several weeks and months. Many patients are concerned early on but your final result will be very different. I would speak to your surgeon who can reassure you that your recovery is proceeding normally and allay your concerns
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Facelift two days ago and cheeks look flat

At two days you are not looking like the final result. You need to have more patience for the final result.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Normal healing following facelift

At two days out you are going to be very bruised and edematous.  Be patient and give your body time to heal.  Each week things will continue to get better and better.  It can take 4-6 weeks for the majority of the swelling to go down.  If you do have concerns contact your plastic surgeon and they will evaluate you.  Take care.

Timothy A. Janiga MD, FACS

Healing and Recuperation Following your Facelift

First and foremost, its best to remain patient. It is still early in to your recovery. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away.
#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Facelift results

Unfortunately, It is impossible to give you good advice without having any photos to assess the results. Even with photos, at only two days out you are way too early to know what the final result will be like. You are likely swollen and bruised and have several weeks of healing yet to go. Try to be patient and keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon.
Often times as tissues relax, areas which were once "flat" will loosen and assume a more round and natural appearance. Best of luck!
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA