How can I trust that the surgeon will actually remove all of the scar capsule?

Hello! I live in Sacramento, CA and am seeking a PS to do an Explant with En Bloc or totally Capsulectomy. I also want an anchor lift at the same time. It is highly important to me that all of the scar capsule be removed. How can I trust that the surgeon will actually remove all of the scar capsule?

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Breast implant removal with total capsulectomy

Thank you for asking about your breast explant and total capsulectomy.
  • First - if you have a very thin, delicate capsule around your implant it can be difficult and even impossible to totally remove - and unnecessary -- such capsules are the normal response to an implant.
  • I agree completely that if possible all capsules should be completely removed - en bloc if possible.
  • So explain to your surgeon what is important to you and what you want done.
  • Ask your surgeon what s/he thinks is possible and reasonable.
  • Ask the surgeon to take a photo of the capsules and the implants to show you.
  • And ask the surgeon to send the capsules for pathologic examination - and get a copy of the report.
  • But ultimately it is a matter of trust - it is not a good sign if a surgeon is irritated by your concerns, wants to tell you what to do or in other ways suggests that what you want isn't that important. If this happens, find another plastic surgeon to help you. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for the question. Frankly, I think that your decision-making should not be too difficult: trust a board certified plastic surgeon who you feel can best achieve the outcome you are looking for. Fortunately, in the field of plastic surgery, you should be able to visualize before/after photographs and talk to and/or see other patients who have had the same procedure performed. Again, once you have seen a lot of your plastic surgeons work, you will gain confidence and trust his/her judgment/recommendations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Talk to your doctor

Express your concerns to your doctor at your consultation.  You will have a better feeling after an in-person consultation.

Thank you for your question.  I think the best course of action would be to have an open and honest dialogue with your surgeon about your desires and for them to detail to your the risks that may be entailed with a total capsulectomy depending on the location of placement of your implants (above or below the muscle).  Your surgeon can then work with you to maximize your results within the constraints placed by your natural anatomy.  Hope this helps.