Why would swelling from Restylane go down in only half of my face? (photos)

Yesterday I had Botox around my eyes, Restalyne in my upper cheeks for lift and filler in my lips. I expected the swelling and bruising which is mostly in my lips. This morning half of my face looks a lot better and the other half is still swollen. I was careful to lay only on my back overnight. Why would the swelling go down only the right side of my face? I would would assume the swelling reduction would be by type of filler or by area. My right eyebrow is even higher than the left.

Swelling After Injections

Swelling and asymmetry immediately after the injections can occur.  It often takes several days for the full results and swelling to resolve.  If after two weeks there is still asymmetry, I would consult a board certified dermatologist for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling after Restylane

Thanks for your question. The swelling can remain for up to 10 days but continue icing the areas. Please follow the instructions provided by your surgeon and/or injector.

German Newall, MD

Uneven swelling after restylane

This is fairly common concern immediately after injection. Assuming that the filler was injected symmetrically, there still may be different amount swelling on the two sides due to many variables that will even out after 7-10 days. Keep icing for the first 24-48 hours, avoid strenuous activities, avoid aspirin or ibuprofen ( Tylenol OK) and sleep with elevated head. Should there still be a issue after 10 days then resonator your PS/injector.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after fillers

Hello Damende17,

It is very common for the sides of the face to swell differently.  It takes about 1-2 weeks for the swelling to go completely away.  It takes about 7-10 days to see the final result of Botox.  Even if you started the night on your back it is very common for the face to fall one direction or the other and become more swollen.  After a few weeks if there is still a difference then you may consider either a touch up filler or touch up Botox.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Post fillers On Face

Swelling takes 2-3 weeks to subside.  If after that time you are unhappy, touch ups are normal and apart of the follow up process.  Speak to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.