Scar treatment products for Breast reduction?

I'm sure this is asked a lot but what are the thoughts on these: BioCorneum+ : The surgery clinic gave me a brochure for it. Mepiform Strips: There are people on this site who have shown great results with this. Mederam: Again, some good results on this site with it. SkinMedica recover gel: Same as above. I'm thinking maybe some, or all of these, have the same active ingredient. Is there consensus on what works best among these, or others you recommend, and under what conditions? Thank you.

Scar Treatment

Thanks for your question. Bio Corneum and Mepiform both contain silicone, which is an ingredient that has proven to help soften, fade & flatten scars.  Silicone comes in both topical gel formula and strips that are applied to the skin and worn continuously, taken off for showers. Massage, moisturization, and sun avoidance all can help improve the appearance of scars as well.  Mederma and SkinMedica do not contain silicone, so I don’t typically recommend them for my patients.  Your plastic surgeon will recommend what she/he feels is best for you based on her/his experience.  Follow all post-operative instructions given to you by your surgeon.  Best of luck!          Sincerely,Dr. Michelle Spring

Products for scar reduction

I can't say that one is really better than the other except that tape and silicone products seem to have better reputations among physicians.  I don't advocate routine use of such products but patients can certainly choose to do things in an attempt to provide their best scar.  I personally carry Biocorneum that patients choose to have or not have with their procedure as it does add a little to the cost of their procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Scar treatment products

You will not find a consensus on the best products for treatment of scars. The conformity in studies conducted by the manufacturers do not allow accurate comparisons. Also, the best product for a scar is not the same for everyone and may change over time. The best recommendation can be provided by your surgeon who has had a chance to examine you before, during, and after the procedure. 

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to advice regarding incision line care. You may find that every surgeon has his/her preferences. Generally speaking, the use of silicone-based products ( gel or sheeting) may be helpful. Massage and or the use of tape may also be helpful.
Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.