Rhinoplasty/septoplasty 5 years ago with bad results. What can I do now? (photos)

I had the surgery in 2011, removing a small hump, creating a slight curve, reducing the turbinates, and elevating a drooping columella. Right after the surgery, it was clear I had visible asymmetries. I also had recurrent sinus infections that I had never had in my life. I've made an appt with the same doctor, but was wondering if I could get more opinions here. Thank you.

Thank you for your question.  From your description and the limited photos you have submitted it seems you need several problems to be addressed.  First of all your sinus problems need to be taken care of.  If you have recurrent sinus infections you probably need endoscopic sinus surgery.  You may also have recurrent turbinate hypertrophy and septal deviation.  Finally the tip asymmetry needs to be treated.  There seems to be much asymmetrical bulkiness of the tip.  This may be due to inadequate tip refinement during the original surgery or it may be due to asymmetrical scar formation.  It would be wise to get a second opinion from an experienced plastic surgeon with experience in secondary nasal problems.  Hope that helps.

Rhinoplasty/septoplasty 5 years ago with bad results. What can I do now?

It appears that there are a number of issues to be addressed. First have the sinus infections evaluated and treated. It appears your nasal tip area needs to be "de-bilked" and refined also it appears that the nasal dorsum has septum "showing" through the skin. This can all be improved.

Fred Suess, MD

It appears that your tip was not adequately treated

The two tip cartilages seem to be very prominent and wide. Besides making the tip wide, they also make the tip hang lower than it needs to (as I saw in a previous post of yours), and I'm guessing that from the profile view, those cartilages are also holding the tip out forward, away from your face, more than it needs to be. If I see some different angles, I might have more advice for you.

This is actually a rather common situation that I see in revision rhinoplasty candidates, because the tip of the nose is the most complex area to modify, and not all plastic surgeons can handle it with true expertise.

Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to determine whether your primary doctor should be the one performing your revision.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

The results, to my sense of aesthetics, is not acceptable. The tip, besides the asymmetry, is grossly bulbous without definition. Unfortunately there are no profiles to see the tip in profile.Consult with a good surgeon with experience in revisions.You deserve a better result.I cannot comment on your sinus issues, that out of my field of specialty.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Post operative rhinoplasty

I think that you have had a nice improvement.  Sometimes secondary rhinoplasty needs to be carefully considered if the result that your looking for wasn't achieved.  However, you also need to consider whether of not it is worth it to redo a rhinoplasty.  Plastic surgery in general is IMPROVEMENT,and not perfection.  Sometimes patients bring in photos of their perfect desired rhinoplasty DREAM nose. Its a good starting point for discussion, but not a guarantee.."Hey no problem, we can make you look like Kim Kardashian".  Its not that easy.  Essentially, rhinoplasty is you... plus your surgeon and his or her skill level... and multiple factors such as skin thickness, bony thickness, what size and shape your nose was before, whether or not you've had previous trauma to the area etc, etc.  The list is long and unfortunately, it is a procedure that cannot deliver a computer perfect simulation  result.
Seek out a plastic surgeon that specializes in repeat rhinoplasty to get a second and third opinion.
Good luck to you!

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty candidate

A revision rhinoplasty is more difficult than a primary rhinoplasty, but can accomplish the goals refining the nasal tip and making it more symmetrical.  A full set of photographs are required to make a determination, since the nose is a 3-dimensional structure.  Chronic Sinus infections are not related to cosmetic rhinoplasty, and can be addressed with a CAT scan and functional endoscopic sinus surgery if there is any polyps present inside the sinuses.  For more information about both procedures, please see the link and video below