Should I get a Revision now or wait until I'm done having kids?

I had a breast augmentation done 7 years ago, with saline implants. I had my first child over a year ago and my husband and do plan on having another child soon. The problem is that my right breast has been hurting off and on the past year and feels very firm. I haven't gone to get a consultation yet, but I'm assuming it's capsular contracture, which means I'd need a revision. Should I get a revision done now, knowing that I'm going to have another child, or can I wait until I'm done?

Changes in breasts with implants after children

This is a very common question. The answer assumes there is nothing wrong with your breast except a capsule contracture, which is not certain without an examination. I always recommend waiting unless you will not have another child for a long time, like ten years. So, see a surgeon, get an opinion, and go from there. When you're done with your family, then you pull the trigger and maybe get newer implants.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Revision now or later

I would recommend you consult with a plastic surgeon to fully discuss the pros and cons.  If you have capsular contracture and it is painful, you may feel better with a revision now.  If it is not bothering you that much and you could tolerate waiting, that may be a better option.  Your breasts would likely change after a second pregnancy, so it is possible you would want a revision at that time.  It depends on your symptoms, and how much it bothers you.  

David S. Chang, MD

Treatment for capsular contracture #plasticsugery

I think its reasonable to go ahead and get capsulectomy and implant exchange now, since you appear to be uncomfortable. Waiting for future children should not factor into this particular clinical decision.

Breast Augmentation

It would certainly advisable to meet with a plastic surgeon for an evaluation prior to another pregnancy.  Typically, a revision breast augmentation with or without a breast lift procedure would be best performed following the completion of pregnancies and breast feeding; however, if you suspect that there may be a capsular contracture, the discomfort may worsen during another pregnancy and would be better addressed prior to that time.  

Benjamin Wood, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain

If you are having a fair amount of pain, you might want to go ahead and consider surgery. I would suggest meeting with a plastic surgeon and discussing all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast revision

If you are in serious pain, then an open capsulectomy would be recommended prior to your next pregnancy. The scar tissue can be worsened during the pregnancy and surgery no longer an option under general anesthesia 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS