It is required to have a mammogram as a baseline prior to having breast augmentation?

Hi, I'm 36 years old in good health with no prior family history of breast cancer (or none that I'm aware of). I was wondering if a mammogram is recommended or required as a baseline prior having breast augmentation. Thank you!

Mammogram requirements for breast augmentation

Assuming there are no significant risk factors for breast cancer, at your age,  a mammogram should not be required prior to breast augmentation. It may however still be something to consider as a baseline and should be discussed with your surgeon. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

A mammogram is strongly recommended as a baseline level prior to a breast augmentation procedure. Thank you for your question.

Fred Suess, MD

New baseline mammgrams are now recommended at age 45

so you do not need a baseline done prior to your desired procedure.  Whomever you choose to do your procedure should be able to confirm this with you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Hi, thank you for your question. Mammogram is not required for a simple breast implants. It is normally recommended for patient who will undertake breast lift and who are more than 40 years of age. 

Boonchai Taweerattanasil, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast augmentation surgery

At your age with no family history we wouldn't do a mammogram prior to surgery. Your surgeon will do a breast exam for you during consultation. Check with them if they want you to have one but usually not.

Mammogram prior to breast augmentation?

With a negative family history we do not ask patients under the age of 40 to undergo mammography.  We do  recommend it for patients 40 and above but leave the choice to them.Good luck with your procedure and best regards.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast augmentation

If you have no risk factors / family history I would tend not to prescreen at your age. I would ask your PS though. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram required prior to BA?

If you have no family history of breast cancer and your breast exam in the office reveals no suspicious lumps or masses, I generally default to the American Cancer Society for screening recommendations.  In my opinion and practice, it is not required to have a baseline mammogram and in fact, some patient's insurance will refuse to cover the mammogram if it is not indicated.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Mammogram Screening

Great question. This topic is managed differently and will vary from surgeon to surgeon, and will be patient specific. I usually recommend (but not require) for patients to have a baseline mammogram prior to BA surgery if they are older than 35 years of age for future comparison. There is some great information on the American Cancer Society website as far as their recommendations, and they recommend for women aged 40-44, to start annual breast cancer screening with mammograms if they want. For those over 45 to 54 years of age, mammograms are recommended every year. Those that are younger but have a family history of breast CA and additional risk factors should have a screening mammogram and an MRI at 30. I hope this helps.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Our patients are instructed to have Mammogran at the age of 40 or earlier with a family history of breast cancer. Screening mammograms are especially useful when a full breast lift will be peformed 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS