What do I need to do to be ready for tummy tuck? (Photos)

I've lost over 100 pounds and my weight has is stable. I saw a plastic surgeon but I was not given the opportunity to discuss how to move forward in a cost effective way vs get everything done. Id love to fix everything but I'm a single mom and cost matters, I need to be realistic and can't get everything done at once. The abdominal skin is my biggest concern. What is critical to remove this blob of skin? I cannot stand the feel/sound of my skin when active but 36k is 3x what I can afford.

Tummy Tuck an Liposuction

I think you can get a tummy tuck and liposuction of your hips and waist for about half that price by many reputable surgeons. Try to see if you can get financial assistance from Care Credit or similar lenders.

What do I need to do to be ready for tummy tuck?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Congratulations on your weight loss. If you saw a plastic surgeon about potential surgical options and he or she did not discuss with you your budget and how to look toward your goals within you budget, then go see another surgeon in your area and make sure they are board certified by the ABPS.

As for your specific case, I think you would do very well with a few body contouring options (tummy tuck vs. FDL tummy tuck vs. body lift), but the best one for you would depend on your physical exam as well as your expectations and goals. That being said, if your goal is to have abdominal contouring and spend $12K, then I think you can have that achieved. If someone tried to charge you $36K for abdominal contouring, you need a second opinion. 

Tummy Tuck Cost

Thank you for your question about Tummy Tuck.

Since cost is an issue, you would likely get the "most bang for the buck" with a tummy tuck and flank lipsuction.  This may not solve all the problems but would likely give you significant improvement.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck options

Thank you for the question and photos.  Since your abdominal area is your greatest concern I would focus on that.  This can be treated with a one of several forms of tummy tucks:
-full tummy tuck
-extended tummy tuck
-fleur-de-lis tummy tuck

Which one would be best for you depends on what result you are trying to achieve.  I think an extended tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks would be a great option to contour the abdomen and waist.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

You have to be ready for a minimum of two weeks recovery, and limited activity for at least 4-6 weeks.

Fred Suess, MD

What do I need to do to be ready for tummy tuck after weight loss?

Congratulations on your weight loss! You should be very proud of yourself.  It is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance. Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important considerations. Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including anesthesia provider and safe surgery facility will follow.  
The tummy tuck is a major operation associated with major physical and emotional recovery time. As you can imagine, every patient's experience differs after the procedure. Therefore, return to work times will differ from one patient to another. Ultimately, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to guiding you; he/she will see how you are doing and whether or not you have experienced any complications or set backs.  
I have found that the “mindset” the patient's have prior to proceeding with surgery, regardless of whether they have any type of associated medical condition, makes a big difference when it comes to their recovery experience. In other words, patients who are “glass half full” and physically, psychosocially, and emotionally stable tend to do well, as opposed to patients who are "glass half empty”.
Since you considering undergoing a major operation which again involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.