Do I have ptosis on my right eye? Do I need a blepharoplasty on my right eye? (photos)

My left eye is perfect. The problem is my right eye. My right eye feels and looks droopy and is hard to open unless I subconsciously try to open it but even then it feels weak. If i squint both eyes look even. My right eye bothers me 24/7 and feels to be getting worse. Note that I had lasik eye surgery on both my eyes. My right eye had a very bad astigmatism and took two surgeries to correct. My left eye is 20/15 my right eye is 20/20 early in the day. As my eye dries up the vision get blurry.

Doctor Answers 5

Need Face to Face Consultation with an Oculoplastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You require an in-person consultation with a board-certified, fellowship trained Oculoplastic Surgeon -- but from your photos you like a healthy young man, possibly with very mild Ptosis.  Your symptoms suggest mild dry eye in the right eye following LASIK surgery.  You should be evaluated by your LASIK surgeon or other Ophthalmologist for this possibility.  Ptosis surgery carries a risk of worsening of dry eye which is a concern for a prior LASIK patient.  Best of luck!

Ptosis and repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Ptosis or specifically blepharoptosis is drooping of the eyelid. It can affect one or both eyes. It can affect both eyes by different amounts. To diagnose this, you need to be examined by an eye doctor who will measure the lid position relative to other landmarks and light reflexes. There are a number of different causes for eyelid ptosis. Some are treated with medication, but the majority of the causes are treated with surgery. Blepharoplasty (changes the shape of the eyelid) and ptosis repair (addresses the weakness creating droop) are considered two separate techniques that can be performed at the same time. I would recommend consulting with an eyelid specialist or oculoplastic surgeon as they can both diagnose and treat ptosis. Safety comes first. 


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Looks to me like you have ptosis in both eyes, worse on the right. You may need ptosis repair in both eyes. Be aware that ptosis surgery may exacerbate the dry eyes, requiring more aggressive dry eye treatment.

You might also like...

You need a detailed consultation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You appear to have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis.  The right eye is slight worse than the left side.  My concern is that if only the right side is "fixed," the left side will appear worse.  This is called Herring's law ptosis.  This can be assessed at the time of consultation.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Ptosis of right eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Even with all the pictures it is difficult to assess without seeing you in person. It appears to be subtle, but if it is bothering you then you would need a consultation with an oculoplastic specialist. Because of your dry eyes which is temporarily(hopefully) worsened from the refractive surgery you would need to be conservative with any eyelid procedures as to not worsen the dry eyes.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.