Preparing for rhinoplasty, what are must have products for recovery?

I am having rhinoplasty next week and am trying to decipher what is really necessary to purchase in preparation of recovery and what not. What do you all recommend having and what was absolutely necessary during your recovery?

Preparing for Rhinoplasty

If you are a smoker, you will be asked to stop smoking well in advance of surgery. Aspirin and certain anti-inflammatory drugs can cause increased bleeding, so you should avoid taking these medications for a period of time before surgery. Your surgeon will provide you with additional preoperative instructions.

If your rhinoplasty will be performed on an outpatient basis, be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and to stay with you at least the first night following surgery. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Get Antibiotic Ointment and Listen to Your Surgeon

I would listen to your surgeon, because every surgeon has a unique postoperative routine. In my hands, the only necessary supply is an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment, which you should apply to the open rhinoplasty incision and just inside your nose twice daily. Frozen peas are an inexpensive and effective way to apply ice to the nose during the first several hours. Elevating the head of the bed is also useful: Just use a cushion placed underneath the mattress at the head of the bed. Some surgeons suggest arnica for bruising, but the data in careful studies is mixed on its value. It is safe, and I do not object to patients using it, but do not routinely recommend it.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Must Have Products after Rhinoplasty

There is no such thing as "must have products" after rhinoplasty surgery. Follow the directions of the surgeon who you're trusting to do your facial surgery. Suggestions by multiple surgeons responding on this panel will just confuse the issue.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question but really little is needed except ice packs, elevation, pain medications and someone to prepare foods and make sure you stay hydrated

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Rhinoplasty postoperative recovery products?

In our practice there is no additional products the patient's must buy in order to recover from a rhinoplasty procedure. It is important to fill all of the prescription medications prior to your surgery.  All the preoperative AND postoperative instructions are discussed with patients at the consultation/examination/  nursing pre-op assessment. Best to check with your operative surgeon and make sure that they have lots of experience with rhinoplasty, since it's one of the most difficult operations to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery