I'm planning and considering CO2 laser for my acne scar removal, is it safe on Asian skin? (Photo)

Hi everyone, I use to suffer from acne when I was younger. I suffered mental breakdowns emotionally. Took meds for acne and left my skin with some scars on my cheeks! Im very careful about who works on my face because you hear horrible stories that lasers messed up and burns your skin. Thats why i been putting it off! I'm looking for a doctor that can do this laser treatment for me. As a Makeup Artist, makeup can cover only so much! I am open with suggestions please! Thanks for reading my story. :)

Acne scars and lasers

Co2 laser is safe in the right hands. You have to go to someone very experienced for treatment. There are many other options including microneedling and fraxel as well. See an expert for treatment. Best, dr EMER.

Co2-Asian skin

Co2 laser can certainly be done on Asian skin if preformed by the right person. I recommend that you have a consultation with either a facial plastic surgeon or a dermatologist with Co2 experience.

Please keep in mind, that depending on the severity of the scarring there is also less evasive options that you can use as well. For example: Erbium pixel resurfacing. 

Good luck!

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm planning and considering CO2 laser for my acne scar removal, is it safe on Asian skin?

It can be done, but be sure that you seek consultation with a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist with laser experience.  In general Asian patients carry a higher liklihood of developing postinflammatory hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin following treatment).  Because of this, there are certain ways to prepare your skin in the weeks prior to treatment, certain settings that need to be adjusted on the laser during the treatment, and different ways to care for your skin post-treatment.  As an alternative, there are different resurfacing modalities including peels and dermabrasion, but I would caution you about pigment changes with any resurfacing treatment.  I wish you well!  

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon