Because of my painful 2nd treatment, only lasted 5 min, but with SculpSure should I take pain medication?

I have rescheduled for another treatment and am hopeful this time it will be like my first treatment.

Sedation is fine

Pre-treatment with some sedation is fine.Don't drive as you will be under the influence.Your doctor can help you with this.

I would suggest you take a pain killer and maybe even something to help you relax

your dr can prescribe something for you but you should have someone drive you. 

i must say, your experience is very unusual. the first 5 minutes, the paddles are just warming up for most of that time. i had sculpsure done to my love handles and although it was uncomfortable, it definitely got much more tolerable after 10 minutes. 

you may find your second experience much better if you take both pain meds and something to help you relax. 

good luck

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. I do not recommend your taking any pain medication beforehand because it is important that your body and mind are responsive to the treatment and providing us the feedback we need to make the correct adjustments. In replace of medicine, I suggest that you begin with the procedure at a lower setting. You may benefit for a second treatment at a slightly higher setting after you have had the chance to experience a full SculpSure procedure. I suggest that you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Feedback is very important during a SculpSure treatment

Feedback during the treatment phase of SculpSure is very important to prevent damage to the skin and also to assure that the proper amount of energy is being delivered.  I do not recommend any sedative DURING  a treatment session, if afterward, you are experiencing pain, then medication might be needed.  However, it is recommended by Cynosure (the parent company of SculpSure) not to take any OTC anti-inflammatory for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after a treatment.  Only Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is recommended.  Check with you doctor if you need a prescription analgesic.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Had Pain with Second SculpSure Treatment, Stopped at Five Minutes. Should I Take Pain Medication?

You might, but it should be mild, like Tylenol or ibuprofen. SculpSure usually does not hurt, or if it does, not much. If it hurts enough to stop the treatment, the settings might have been too high. Feedback from the patient is used to adjust the device settings. The feeling of heat should be tolerable, but not excessive. If my machine were causing enough pain at the low settings such that the patient wanted the treatment stopped, I would have it checked by Cynosure to make sure the calibration was correct.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure- Pain Medication Not Recommended

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your 2nd treatment. I would not recommend taking pain medication prior to treatment. During your treatment you will be asked your pain level and taking a mediation to take the pain away can put you in a false zone area. Best of luck!

Pain meds with SculpSure

It's unusual that the second treatment was so much more painful.  How far apart in time were the treatments?  If you had some scar tissue present still, it may have contributed to the pain.  Other factors include period in the menstrual cycle for women with certain times during the cycle where you may have increased sensitivity.  With SculpSure, pain or discomfort level is used to modulate the level of the treatment, therefore it's probably best to not mask it with pain meds or sedation.

I am surprised to hear that your treatment was so painful.  While SculpSure can be at times uncomfortable, in general it is well tolerated.  We have not had to stop a treatment on any of our patients.  Sometimes changing the position of the paddles or the patient is necessary to improve comfort.  I would not recommend taking pain medication with the treatment as feedback on your pain level is important during the procedure.

Naveen Setty, MD

SculpSure and Post Results -- Add Vanquish and Cellutone

I rarely have patients with too much pain from sculpsure, ensure this was on properly.  Combined with vanquish and cellutone to get more outcome.  Dr. Emer.

SculpSure Treatment

An experienced physician will be able to manage discomfort with your SculpSure treatment as there as several ways to use the SculpSure treatment modalities to allow for additional cooling when needed. I have also found in my practice that changing positions during the treatment in certain areas is often helpful. Speak to your physician before your next treatment to assure they can accommodate your needs for a successful treatment. Best wishes.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician