My doctor is suggesting to retreat my stomach one week after a cool sculpt treatment. Is this safe? It is still sore and numb.

When to retreat with CoolSculpting?

Patients have undergone stacked treatments even on the same day.  This can result in more soreness and other side effects, but no serious side effects have occurred.  Although it is probably safe, you may have more difficulty tolerating the procedure both during and after unless you wait until your symptoms resolve.  The ideal treatment delay after the first session has not been determined through studies.

I hope this is helpful! All the best, Dr. Clark

Additional CoolSculpting Treatments to Same Area

At our clinic, our goal is to give our patients the best results with the highest level of care possible, so we suggest a period of at least 6 weeks between treatments. This gives us a better chance to see see the results of the first treatment (the most dramatic results are usually apparent after about 2 months) and gives us a better idea of which areas to target for the second treatment. We also don't want to retreat an area that's sore or numb. One of the great things about CoolSculpting is that it's virtually painless. Treating a sore area and creating a painful experience for our patients is just not what this procedure is all about.

Because the manufacturers of Zeltiq CoolSculpting suggest waiting at least a month, I would be cautious about taking this kind of advice.

Re-treatment of the same area

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure. The first procedure reduces the bulge by approximately twenty percent in a given area. If I believe a patient will need two treatments in the same area I prefer to wait two months to assess their progress. I would not recommend treating the same area one week later. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results. 

Coolsculpting Retreatment

The Clinical studies were based off of treating no sooner than 4 weeks for the same area. We prefer to wait between 4 to 6 weeks before treatment for optimum safety. This time period also allows us to better assess whether we should repeat the same treatment or make alterations due to the improvement.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Multiple Coolsculpting Treatments To The Same Area

I have heard of other doctors treating an area twice in quick succession. I prefer to wait at least 4 weeks before retreating an area.

Stacked CoolSculpting treatments

Hi Happy1995:

Stacking CoolSculpting treatments is performed and can add another "up to 20%" fat loss to the bulge reduction. It is usually performed at the same time and directly over the first treatment. 

As you say, the area is sore and numb and may not be as well tolerated. There is also increased circulation to the area of injury, ie., previously CoolSculpted area, so you may bruise more.

If you are consulting and have been treated by a well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you should respect his recommendations. If you have concerns, consult with another well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or wait the 3 months to see what the first treatment provided you. 

I hope this has been helpful! All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Re-treatment of stomach one week after CoolSculpting

Different physicians may have different opinions of when to re-treat an area after CoolSculpting.  My preference is to wait at least 2 months between treatments but I have re-treated patients as soon as 1 month afterwards.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting retreatment

coolsculpting slectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. The manufacturers of the Zeltiq machine, which is the only machine FDA'd approved for this procedure, recommend waiting one month. Be sure your treatment is with a Zeltiq machine.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon