Is my desired result realistic? Also, how would I properly choose the size if I'm having a lift with the implant? (Photo)

I've been told I need a lift with my breast augmentation. I'm worried about correct sizing and asked yesterday, "if I tried on sizers and picked a size I liked, would I need to go slightly larger since excess skin will be removed?" So that is still a question I'd like opinions about and attached are 3 photos of my boobs, and 3 of my desired result. I know they can't look exactly like that as we 2 diff people, and I know she doesn't have a lift, just an implant.

Is my desired result realistic? Also, how would I properly choose the size if I'm having a lift with the implant?

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

A breast lift will not reduce breast implant size.

As others have stated a breast lift should not significantly decreased the size of the breast implant that you choose during your breast implant sizing system.

To achieve your desired result you may well need a breast lift.  However another option is to have a dual plane breast augmentation and wait 3-6 months for the lift.  This will allow better positioning of the nipple areola over your new implant.

For more information on commentation breast lift and augmentation please read the following link:

Increase size to compensate for loss with a lift?

Generally you do not need to increase the size of the implant to compensate for the loss of skin associated with a lift.  These cases can be tricky to size correctly.  There will be such a big difference between your before and your after.  You might want to consider going to a plastic surgeon who has the use of a 3-D camera system called Vectra.  This will help give you an idea of the size implant you should choose.

How to Choose Implant Size if Having Lift with Augmentation?

The size would be chosen the same as if you were not having a lift.  The lift will tighten the skin around the new breast volume to the surface area it would be if you did not need the lift, i.,e, the same as in a primary breast augmentation.  We have various methods of helping patients choose the optimum size, including dimensional analysis, trying on gel sizers, and Crisalix imaging.
A lift helps get the nipple/areola elevated on the breast mound and get upper breast fill.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Is my desired result realistic?

I honestly think you could achieve a very good result with just a breast augmentation; you do not need an uplift (mastopexy) to have an attractive breast. It is important that the correct implant be chosen. You might benefit from the newer “form stable” or “anatomical” style implants, which can correct breast drooping better than conventional round implants.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Size

Thank you for your questions and the photos.  That said the amount of skin removed with a lift has little to no impact on future breast size so I would not worry about that.  It is also unfair to compare your breasts to the desired result as the desired result undoubtedly had very small breasts with tight skin prior to her augmentation while your skin has undoubtedly lost elasticity and will more quickly relax no matter what sized implant is placed and no matter how tight the lift. That is not to say that you will not get a good result because you should.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Sizing

"if tried on sizers and picked a size..." I would not imagine your surgeon has any plans to remove any significant amount of your breast tissue during the lift...so no. If you were sized using implants...I would expect the size you settled on to be roughly the size to choose. Mentor has a sizing system that provides sizers that are concave allowing your breast to fill the concavity of the sizer...this may be a bit more accurate as far as expected appearance than using your standard round implants for sizing. Another option is 3-D imaging. It can help visualize the appearance as well as expected scars. Crisalix is an online imaging system of which you can upload your own pictures to and see sizes. The other option is talking to your surgeon and with communication and pictures, allow him to make size adjustment in the operating room to best match your expectations. As far as "desired realistic result"...I think you can match her size with ease and overall have a great result.

PWP

Which Breast Implant Size is Best

The very best way to determine breast implant size if to find a plastic surgeon who uses biodimensional planning techniques. Another way to communicate your desires to your plastic surgeon, look at the before and after images on his website. Look for patients with a starting point like yours with an end result you find a pealing. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon