Can I lose feeling in my breasts after breast reduction?

I really want to get a Breast reduction , but I wanted to know will I still have feeling in my boobs for pleasure ?

Risks for loss of sensation

with reductions are certainly there and most do recover but the risk is real.  Have a reduction only if you really need one and that it will improve your quality of life if you're worried about preserving sensation.

Loss of nipple sensation after breast reduction surgery?

In my experience most patients have a temporary loss of nipple and areolar sensation following her breast reduction but most achieve a near complete or complete return over time.  There are exceptions however especially in patients requiring larger breast reductions. Good luck with your choices. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Change in nipple sensation after breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  Most women will maintain nipple sensation after a breast reduction, but there is a small chance of permanent loss.  Patients at risk for nipple loss are generally patients with very large, long, and droopy breasts.  Sometimes patients will need their nipples/areolas moved as a skin graft.  In that case, there will definitely be a decrease in sensation.  Many women with heavy breasts, will actually notice an improvement in their nipple sensation as the weight of the heavy breasts is removed, the nerves are not as stretched and work better.  Many patients will notice a temporary change in sensation due to swelling after surgery.  Best to review your specific situation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.  

Sensation after Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question. Losing nipple sensation after breast reduction is a rare complication. I would recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what techniques would be best to accomplish your goal. They will be able to discuss any specific risks for you at during your consultation. Best, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon