How long should I wait between procedures?

I am planning on having two different procedures with two different specialists (the first is a rhinoplasty and then later a lower body lift with liposuction after a 120 pound weight loss). If possible I would like to have both taken care of over the course of next summer, but I'm not sure how long I should wait to heal after the rhinoplasty before I go forward with the lower body lift. Thanks!
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Staging surgery, which surgery to do first, rhinoplasty and body contouring

Dear Sacramento6008,
Timing staged procedures is truly dictated by the procedure that is performed first. If the body contouring is performed first the rhinoplasty can be undertaken within the next 7-10 days because the rhinoplasty surgeon will not interfere with any of the previous surgery. If the rhinoplasty is performed first a delay of 6 weeks should be allowed because the anesthesia provider for the bony contouring procedure will have to manipulate the airway and possibly the nose to provide safe anesthetic care. After 6 weeks the nose will be stable enough to tolerate the minimal manipulation that might occur during the anesthetic induction and awakening. I encouraged my patients that are considering both to have the body were on first and the rhinoplasty at a later date which can follow much sooner than if performed in the opposite order.

Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait between procedures?

Hi there, you should check to see if both procedures may done under the same anesthetic as that'll reduce your recovery time.

If that's not possible, then it's your choice on which you'd like to have done first.  Keep in mind that the nose will require some healing time to achieve stability before it can tolerate manipulation related to anesthesia for the lower body surgery so you may want to have the lower body procedure first and then the rhinoplasty any time thereafter.  Good luck to you!

Tom D. Wang, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why not do your rhinoplasty and body lift together?

Dear Sacramento6008 in Sacramento:

It makes perfect sense to do them together. Many of us surgeons have done that. It is a great idea to combine the talents of two super specialists, so why not under the same anesthesia and have the same recovery? It is just a logistical issue of where to have it. It makes a lot more sense than two surgeries, two recovery periods, two anesthetics, and cost that will exceed those expended at one session. If you are going to do them apart, do the body surgery first otherwise the anesthesiologist will be a little concerned with any injury to your nose if you do the nose first since the anesthesiologist often has to pass tubes through your nose and your mouth.

The interval really is up to your surgeons and what they are comfortable with, but I would certainly look into combining them if you can.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Robert Kotler, MD

I would suggest waiting at least two months between procedures.To be better prepared for the next procedure.

Fred Suess, MD

Waiting between procedures

I think the rhinoplasty is eaiser to recover from.  Do this first and normally, wait 1-2 weeks to have the lower body lift.  This is a question to ask your surgeon who will be performing the lower body lift.  Maybe you could wait a week?  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and lower body lift

It is important to get down to your ideal body weight for both procedures to avoid complications from the surgery and anesthesia, so it's important to lose the weight first. When performing both procedures separately, it is best to wait approximately one month between procedures.