If insurance is paying for a breast reduction, is it possible to have other procedures that are not covered at the same time?

If I am going to be getting a breast reduction covered by insurance, I am wondering if it is possible to have other procedures done at this time. I am considering tummy tuck, inner thigh lift liposuction to my calves and thighs, and arm lift. I don't expect to have all of these procedures at the same time, but would like to know if it could be beneficial to me if I have at least one other procedure done at the time of my breast reduction.

Thank you for your question. The short answer is yes, it is possible to combine an insurance covered procedure with a cosmetic procedure. The ability to combine procedures depends on which procedures you are combining, your overall health status, and the time it will take to complete these procedures. If you combine too many procedures and increase the operative time, you are adding additional risk. You should discuss with your doctor the options available to you and what they advise about combining procedures. Sometimes combining these procedures can save money, but sometimes hospitals or surgery centers charge the same for the cosmetic procedure whether done at the same time or at a later time, so it may not save you any money in the end. Hope this helps!

Combining cosmetic procedures with insurance procedures

is commonly done and you should just ask your surgeon doing your reduction for you as to what you can add on.  There are many benefits of doing it this way so you should have something done at the same time if you can.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Lift /Breast Reduction/ Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question. Yes this is possible.  I would recommend that you discuss with your plastic surgeon what procedures he/she recommends combing with your breast reduction.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and can make the safest decision for you. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Multiple procedures at the same time

Yes, it is possible to have other procedures at the same time you are having an insurance covered procedure - we do it all the time. A lot of patients believe that this will save them some cost in terms of anesthesia or OR fees, but these days most surgery centers charge separately for each procedure, so combining a cosmetic and insurance procedure does not save patients any money unfortunately. I agree it would be a bit much to have all the procedures you listed done at the same time, and I would leave it up to you and your plastic surgeon to discuss which ones would be best to combine in terms of ease of your recovery and doing what is safest.

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is OK to combine procedures. Either the TT or the arm lift could be done at the same time, the charges for that part of the OR and anesthesia would be your responsibility. But if you are having the procedure in a hospital, the charges may be so high it is not worth it compared to the charges in an accredited surgery center. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Hello

Yes it is possible for you to have other procedures done at the same time. The healing process may be a bit more but I would suggest you going to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for their opinion on exactly what you want done. Your doctor will be able to determine which procedures are OK for you to have at the same time. Thank you for your question and good luck!

Sam Speron, MD