Do implants feel like natural breasts? Would implants round out my breasts without looking completely fake? (photos)

I can't decide if I should get implants or not. I'm 18 and Ive heard breasts can get larger by the time I'm 20. Are my breasts attractive this small? I've been told countless times that they're too small.

BA at 18

Hi and thanks for posting your question.
There's not much likelihood that your breasts will grow significantly larger after 18 years of age unless you have a very significant weight gain. 
Breast implants, by nature, are meant to enlarge the existing breast size. A very natural result can be achieved with breast augmentation.  The feel of silicone implants are softer than saline, but they still feel like implants. Silicone implants are not recommended for use in women younger than 22 years old. 
If you decide to seek consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss breast augmentation, choose a reputable board certified plastic surgeon that you communicate well with. They will examine you and give you the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you..

Implants do not feel natural

as you will always feel it when displacing it from side to side... and if you  have gel implants and you lose this feeling, its likely your implants have ruptured (as it would be completely natural in feel if ruptured).  Breasts may still increase but the next for sure increase will be when you become pregnant.  Finally, don't ever do things because of what others say.  Your body is very attractive as is and having implants is not a perfect solution.  If you want to be larger yourself and don't mind having some fakeness, then it could work for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Enlargement at age 18?

In my experience, a small percentage of women will still enlarge their breasts up to the age of 22.  Waiting a little longer if you're uncertain is a good idea and your thinking about the procedure may change.  If you are certain that you want to proceed, then meet a couple of ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeons to see photos of others and discuss the benefits and risks of the procedure.  Round smooth cohesive gel implants get pretty close to feeling like natural breast tissue if you heal well (without capsule contracture) and don't try to go too large.  Saline implants will generally feel far less natural if you don't have abundant breast tissue to cover and camouflage the implants.Good luck and don't succumb to your friend's pressure!
Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Augmentation

Hello,You should only have a cosmetic surgical procedure for your own personal reasons, not because someone else commented. If you think you would personally enjoy having larger breasts, then you can potentially have a very nice and natural result. Although not entirely the same, properly chosen implants can feel very natural as well. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Silicone implants feel more natural then saline implant.The bigger the implant the less natural it's going to look. Now we also have the silicone that are anatomically shaped and that can give a more natural shape, and less of the round shape of the traditional implants. When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of breast augmentation  and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Breast implant 'feel' #plasticsurgery

The augmented breast generally feels like a breast, especially when implants are placed in the sub-muscular position.

Do implants feel like natural breasts? Would implants round out my breasts without looking completely fake?

You probably won't get much more increase in size, but you have a very attractive figure. Don't pay attention to those negative comments. Implants can look very nice and natural, but I would suggest you avoid surgery for now and concentrate on enjoying all the things that life has to offer a young woman.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Size and Natural Feel

Good morning and thank you for your question and photos. Breast implants now have a very natural feel to them. Gel style implants will feel more natural than the saline, but choosing between the two implants is a individual decision based on other factors rather than just feel alone. I think you are a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery if you are looking to increase the size of your breasts. Otherwise, you currently have a good look and shape.Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon as you proceed with this process. Best of luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Do implants feel like natural breasts?

Good question. Whether or not a patient should undergo breast augmentation surgery is ultimately a very personal decision that only she can make after careful consideration of pros/cons associated with the breast surgery.  Having said that, based on your photographs, I think that you have attractive breasts already and would suggest that you undergo  breast augmentation surgery ONLY if the breast size concerns you (not what others think or have said).
  • Generally speaking, much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
  • 1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
  • 2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's responsibilities.
  • I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.
  • 3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
  • 4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc.
  • Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
  • Sometimes, despite best efforts, patients may develop thickening of the breast implant capsule (encapsulation) leading to a firmer than desired breast feel.
  • I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.