Which Implant would give me the best results: high profile or moderate profile? Would I also need a lift? (photos)

I am 24 years old, currently 125lbs. I'm attempting to lose another 15lbs before having surgery. Currently where my bra hooks I am 28inches around. Around my boobs I'm 33 inches. I currently wear a Victoria's Secret (non push up) 32-DD. my hips are at 38 inches hoping to be around 34-35 at the time of surgery and I'd like my boobs to balance out with my hips. I want a nice overall fullness and don't want my boobs to seem flatter from the sides. And I'd like to be around a 32 DDD.

Moderate or high profile breast implants

Thanks for your question and determining which profile implant to use is often based on the width of the breast and balancing this with the amount of fullness that the patient wants.  For any volume of implant (let's say for example 400 cc) the implant can be wider and flatter (low profile) narrower and taller or more projected (high profile) or in between (medium profile). So we want to pick an implant that will fit comfortably in your breast pocket given your anatomy:  in general, women with narrower frames and narrower breasts who want more fullness can often benefit from higher profile implants, versus women with wider breasts who prefer a more modest outcome, who often benefit from medium profile implants.  This is just a rough overview, but I think that discussing your questions with your plastic surgeon is critical, and this includes whether or not to perform a breast lift at all, at the same time as your augmentation, or as a separate procedure.

Great question and good luck!

Lift With Implant?

Thank you for your question! It seems like you would benefit from a lift with an implant.  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon an discuss your goals.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic Surgeon ChicagoHoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

#WhichBreastImplantProfleIsBest ?

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and profile shape implant (e.g. High profile vs moderate profile) you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below.

Moderate or high profile implants? To lift or not to lift?

You are wise to get to your goal weight prior to surgery although you look plenty slender to me at your current weight.  Weight changes obviously affect the size and shape of the breasts and your surgeon won't want to be operating on a moving target.

I would advise against high profile implants unless you want an unnaturally full upper pole (which maybe you do).  Also, I think high profile implants are often used because the volume the patient wants is really to big for her chest so an implant that has a smaller diameter and higher projection is needed.  Implants that are to big for the patients chest tend to cause problems over time.  These problems can include thinning of the breast tissue, sagging, and rippling (even with gel implants).  At 24 you probably can't imagine being middle aged but you will be and you won't want to end up with breasts that are difficult to fix because of overly large implants you had when you were young.  I know a lot about this because I see a lot of middle aged patients with stretched out and thinned out breasts who want their implants removed or replaced.  A lot of them say "what was I thinking all those years ago?"  In a week I am giving a lecture on this topic to the Washington Society of Plastic Surgeons. 

Soooo, if you were my patient, I would carefully measure your breast dimensions and have you try on some moderate sized implants and probably a medium profile and recommend a vertical breast lift to reduce your areolar diameter and raise you nipple position.  I think this would serve you best in the long run.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Implant + lift surgery

Hi Newbewbz

A full examination is critical in getting you a good result, however, in general a few things should be considered in your case.

The continuing weight loss will also result in loss of fat from your breasts and greater droop.
High profile implants (I'm assuming rounds due to your residence in the USA) will always look less natural than moderates, but will fill out more skin envelope
Based on your profile photo, I would likely offer you a nipple/breast lift in addition to your implants. A lollipop scar might be all that you need, but a small horizontal extension as a J or T might help the skin settle down faster.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Right implant

Thank you for your question about breast implants.

• Your photo suggests that you will need a lift as well as implants.
  • I wish it were possible to tell you on-line the best implant for you.
  • But a face-to-face consultation is necessary - but perhaps this will give you some guidance. 
  • Here’s why. The right implant depends on your chest measurements, your goals, height, weight, skin looseness, breast fullness and proportions – as well as implant placement and profile
  • Implants over the muscle tend to look fuller than implants under.
  • Plus the final bra size truly depends on bra style – a woman can be a B, C or D, depending on the bra.
  • As a general rule, implants 300-350 will be a full B/C; implants 350-400 will be a full C/D and implants 400-450 will be a D - but general rules don't apply to everyone, especially not when done with a lift.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Breast surgery

An exam in person is critical and you probably need a lift maybe a circumareola with an implant. Good luck.

Breast implants profile

As I see in your pictures, you chest is narrow and you have a breast ptosis also. I recommend Ultrahigh profile texturizedcohesive gel implants under the pectoralis fascia and breastlift together.

Luis Lopez Tallaj, MD

Which Implant would give me the best results: high profile or moderate profile? Would I also need a lift?

In my over the internet opinion you would be best served by 2 operations. Forst a full lift. Than after 3 months a very large implant in the 700 cc range operation... 

I think that a breast augmentation and a vertical lift will produce the best result.  The profile can be determined once you have selected your volume.