I just had my gynecomastia surgery last week. I had breast tissue excision and liposuction. My post op is a week after surgery.

Where can I buy compression vest? How long it's gonna take to remove the drainage, each has 20 ml out put per day now.

What to Expect While Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

You should be following your surgeons recommendations to the letter at this early stage in your recovery.  Get in, and stay in, contact with your surgeon.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Thank you for your question. I would ask your surgeon's office about their recommended supplier of compression vests from which you can purchase.  Occasionally an exercise compression shirt can be used in place of the garment.  Drains are removed when they produce less than a certain amount per day.  Keep an accurate recording of your daily output and take this with you to your follow up appointment. 

Gynecomastia questions

You should be able to obtain a compression vest from your plastic surgeon. I place my patients into a compression vest at the end of surgery. Drinks typically stay in until they are less than 30 mL per 24 hours.