Doctors who specialise in plastic surgery to help left eye double eyelid and right mono? (Photo)

Im a Asian american my left eye has a double lid but my right has a mono i want my right eye to have a double lid so i bought eyelid tape and im trying to tape my right eye to look like my left i wanna know how and where would u place the tape on my eyes so my right eye could be symmetrical

Doctor Answers 5

Asymmetry of Upper Eyelid Folds

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

When you have a well defined fold on one side only, my recommendations are as follows: 1 If you like the side with the fold, then consider doing the double eyelid surgery on the other side only. 2 If you desire to change the size or the shape of the fold, then consider doing the procedure on both sides. 3 Use of tape may have a temporary benefit but I wouldn't recommend patients to use it for a long time as this may damage the skin.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Tough to get the same look with tape

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The "double eyelid" appearance is caused by the INSIDE of the eyelid being more firmly attached to the underlying muscle.  Some people of asian ancestry have eyelids (or eyelid) that move more freely.  It an be difficult to create the appearance that the INSIDE of the lid is attached to muscle by putting tape on the OUTSIDE.  This affect is tough to create with tape on both eyes, even more difficult to match an eye that naturally has a double lid.  Eyelid surgery can recreate the actual muscle attachments, and skin can be removed to create symmetry if needed.  Bryan Rolfes, MD

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Asymmetric Asian eyelid surgery for a monolid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question.  Asian eyelid surgery is my specialty and about 30% of the cases I perform are for asymmetry like yours.  Most people what better symmetry, maybe some small enhancements, and to look natural.  You'd probably benefit from incision technique of suture and you'd need anchoring technique for the monolid side.Best of luck.  Let us know if you have any questionsChase Lay, MDAsian eyelid surgery specialist

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Double eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best way to get symmetry and long-term result is to undergo double eyelid surgery. we recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for double eyelid surgery.  Surgery may cost more but may be a better option.  All the best!

Umeng David Thao, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Double Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thank you for your question. If you are looking for permanent results, double eyelid surgery is suggested. Eyelid surgery will achieve symmetrical eyelid creases and a natural appearing fold. You should seek consultation with a board-certified surgeon who can better assess you and provide accurate options and results for your specific needs. Best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.