Healing and swelling post-minor revision septoplasty

I'm having a very tiny piece of cartilage removed from my (upper) septum as a revision. My septo-rhinoplasty 5 years ago took 2 years for a full recovery so now I'm worried about post-operative swelling. Is it typical for very minor revisions to require long for reduced swelling?

Healing and swelling post minor revisions for septoplasty

the swelling from a septoplasty is much less than the swelling from a rhinoplasty procedure. Touchup and minor procedures also have less swelling than a full rhinoplasty.

Recovery after rhinoplasty revision

From the procedure you described the swelling should be minor and resolve quickly compared to a rhinoplasty procedure. If only a " small amount of septum " was excised there should be little if any external swelling . After rhinoplasty, the tip portion of the surgery can take up to 1 year to reach  it's final appearance  although the major swelling resolves much more quickly .  If the cartilage was on the dorsum or top of the nose you may have some swelling in the area but it should resolve relatively quickly. Taping may help. Only your surgeon can answer the question for  you since he or she knows what exactly was done

Best

David F. LaPatka, MD
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after minor revision septoplasty

Hi there, I would expect your recovery to be much faster based on the description. Everyone is a little different and the best person to give you advice will be your surgeon. However, the external swelling after a small revision to the septum should be much less than after a rhinoplasty. Hope this helps! Good luck

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon