Is it too soon for a Mommy Makeover after losing 90lbs through diet/exercise over last 6yrs? Still have 40lbs to go. (photo)

I am 5'4" and 205lbs and have at least 40lbs to go. Should I start a consultation process now AND am I currently a good candidate to achieve good results in creating a more flattering feminine profile? Would liposuction help prior to a TT and how much could it improve results? Can I achieve a breast lift without losing too much mass, or am I too far gone and only Implants would give desirable results? Any advise about 2 or 3 phases vs all at one time would also be appreciated. Respectfully,

Within 10% of ideal weight....

It’s never too early to get started with the consultation process.  Consultations are designed to be educational and for this reason, represent an important source of information regarding mommy makeover surgery.

There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from mommy makeover surgery.  It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of surgical procedure.  For these reasons, we prefer that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.

Unfortunately, not every patient is successful at losing additional weight.  Many of these patients will ultimately benefit from mommy makeover surgery.  For this reason every patient should be evaluated on an individual basis.

In your particular case, additional weight loss would be helpful.  This would ultimately improve your final result, lower your potential for complications and decrease your potential for secondary surgery.  Even if you’re unable to lose an additional 40lbs, you would probably still benefit from a mommy makeover procedure.  Unfortunately, subsequent weight loss might create loose skin and the need for revisional surgery.

In your case, abdominoplasty with rectus muscle plication, liposuction of the hips and thighs, and bilateral breast lift surgery with possible breast reduction would be appropriate.  If you’re considering mommy makeover surgery it’s appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.  This surgeon should be able to address your concerns and formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Mommy Makeover

From the photos it certainly looks like you would be a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover. A full Tummy tuck and breast lift will address your areas of concern. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring and Aesthetic Breast Surgery for a consultation and more details. The key to long standing success is to be at a stable weight. Make sure your lifestyle is such that you don't gain the weight back after if you do have surgery or you will likely be unhappy, this is also important in maintaining a stable result when fat grafting. If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Ideal body weight is not necessary to proceed with mommy makeover.

I see no reason why you cannot proceed with a mommy makeover and continue with weight loss. There is no significant increase in risk provided your physiologically stable and the procedure will remove some weight. Additionally there may be a psychological lift that will assist in further weight loss.

Multi-step Mommy Makeover will give best figure balance

congratulations on your weight loss!
since you are getting close to your goal weight, but still have a ways to go, it is a great time to  have your consultations so that you can lay out a plan.  I find that my patients also get that extra boost of motivation if they know surgery is in the near and reachable future.
when patients are unsure of their desires regarding breast enhancement and need a tummy tuck as well, I usually recommend that the tummy tuck be done first so that the balance of breast size to the new smaller abdomen will make it clearer how big your breasts need to be for your new figure!  the proportion changes radically after tummy tuck and it is impossible for patients to judge their figures when everything is out of balance. and a tummy tuck is a really big figure improvement!
I also feel that the tummy tuck can be done a bit earlier than breast lift, for example.  while being at your final weight is always best, if there is no excess intra-abdominal fat, a reconstructive muscle repair tummy tuck can reshape you and give you a stable result even if you are 10 to 15 lb. short of your goal.  my patients are delighted with the extra motivation boost it gives them to have a slimmer tight stomach.  when the belly is gone, the desirable breast size becomes more clear and a solid assessment and plan can be made to match your new style.    with a big stomach, the breasts need to be much larger to "show up", and if you overshoot on size, large breasts can make you look heavy or matronly if the figure is too out of balance. and that is exactly what a Mommy Makeover is trying to fix!
a full discussion with your plastic surgeon about all of your figure improvement plans is essential to work out timing and procedures that are best for your individual situation.
a word of caution about combined large procedures...long surgeries with multiple areas operated upon make your recovery period longer, healing problems may occur and the risk of complications can rise.  I frequently recommend separate procedures to increase speed of recovery to your normal activities (and return to your family responsibilities) and to ensure better healing.  

again congratulations on your hard work and amazing determination!  Best of luck with your Make-over and your New Look!
Dr. H

Mary C. Herte, MD

Weight loss and mommy make-over

Thank you for your mommy make-over question
  • Well done on losing weight.
  • If you are near your goal, don't have surgery until you get there.
  • You can start getting consultations now to have a plan
  • Your photos suggest that at least a panniculectomy (removal of overhanging skin) with liposuction will make a huge difference. 
  • Breast lifts do not remove tissue - you will not lose mass.
  • The lift can be done with the panniculectomy and liposuction
  • Whether you need more would require a face-to-face exam. Best wishes.

Lost 90 pounds through diet and exercise with 40 pounds to go before my mommy make over.

Congratulations on your success with weight loss.  Losing 90 pounds through diet and exercises is a great achievement.  If you are planning on losing another 40 pounds it would be best to delay surgery until you are as close to your target weight as possible.  Your surgeon will be able to achieve a better result when you are as close as possible to your target body weight.  It is great that you are taking personal responsibility for achieving the best outcome possible.  Congratulations

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before mommy makeover surgery

You should continue to lose weight prior to having any plastic surgery. Once you are at your goal weight, and are stable for a few months, then you would be a much better candidate for body contouring. You can begin the consultation process now to find a plastic surgeon that is qualified and that you are comfortable with. You will likely require two stages of surgery which will be safer in your case. I suspect you may need a tummy tuck with a vertical incision added (Fleur-de-lis TT) and a breast lift. You can add a breast implant at a second stage if you would like to have more breast volume

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Is it too soon for a Mommy Makeover after losing 90lbs through diet/exercise over last 6yrs? Still have 40lbs to go.

Thank you for the question and pictures. You should be very proud of your weight loss progress thus far; you'll be best off achieving as close to possible to a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with breast and abdominal wall surgery. Doing so, will improve the outcome of the procedures,  decreased risks associated with the procedure and help the increase chances that additional surgery will be necessary subsequently ( in the event of additional weight loss).  Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Learn about the potential risks/complications associated with the procedure as well as the significant physical/emotional recovery time associated with the procedure as well.  

I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to mommy makeover concerns), helps.

First of all congratulations on your accomplishment of having lost the weight. I would absolutely wait until such time that you have reached your goal of losing an additional 40 lbs. A mommy makoever at your current weight would be in your best interest. Although the tummy tuck may not be affected as much if you underwent a MM at your current weight, it would dramatically affect your breast lift. I feel that you will definitely benefit from a tummy tuck and breast lift. The use of breast implants to be mad at the time that you have lost the additional weight.

I frequently performed MM at the same time. By performing the tummy tuck and breast lift concurrently, the patient is subjected to one anesthesia, one recovery and it's less expensive. I would also encourage you to start your search now. You lose nothing by educating yourself and preparing for what is to come. There is HOPE. Good luck

You may want to lose a few more pounds before getting surgery as the results may be compromised if there is significant weight loss that occurs after surgery.  I think that a tummy tuck and a breast lift would be reasonable.