Diastasis Recti as damage to rectus fixation and not to linea alba?

I read this somewhere referring to a diastasis recti and was wondering if a surgeon could explain the difference between damage to fixation versus damage to the linea alba: “A rectus diastasis is the separation of the rectus muscles from each other, especially under strain. It is caused by damage of the fixation of the rectus muscles in their sheaths and is not an impairment of the linea alba itself.”

Diastasis results from stretching and not a tear so the midpoint will remain the midpoint.  I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at patient reviews as well as before and after photos on that surgeon's website.

Diastasis Recti

Dear bartme

The abdominal wall in the mid area is primarily made of two vertical muscles with fascia both in front and in the back of the muscles (with the exception of the lowest part). when stretched, like from pregnancy, everything stretches out. the fascia and the muscles. Once that Stretch is removed (baby is delivered), some of that expansion returns to baseline. Generally, the part from around the belly button to the part close to the hairline stretch the most and have the most long term laxity. This area is the part that is mostly of concern in most abdominoplasties. The linea alba is the part of fascia between the muscles where the fascia in front and back of muscles fuse. most often, it is not directly operated on during tummy tucks, even when its stretched out, but rather, the anterior fascia over the muscles is used to repair the laxity.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis recti refers to separation of the rectus abdominis muscles (six pack muscles). It results from thinning of the connective tissue that holds them together. This could include the rectus sheath (strong connective tissue enveloping the rectus muscles) and linea alba (strong band of connective tissue in the midline of the abdomen).

The diastasis recti typically results from stretching of the abdominal wall after pregnancy. During an abdominoplasty procedure the surgeon will commonly use sutures to pull the rectus abdominis muscles back together. This helps flatten the abdomen and narrow the waistline.