Just curious if a lift is what I need? (photos)

I've breastfed/pumped for 2 babies. I'm 35. Need something! I didn't think I need a lift, but had a consult and dr thinks so. I thought I could get by with implants. I'm also 5'0". So I'm pretty short! Help!

Breast Lift vs Breast Implants

Based upon the photos you have posted it appears that to achieve the best aesthetic result would require a breast lift in addition to implants. Some patients who are willing to accept less than an ideal result and wish to avoid the extra scarring of a lift may still chose implants alone. To accurately predict the anticipated outcome from either procedure would require a formal consultation. The would allow the surgeon to exam the tissues and take necessary measurements for an accurate assessment of possible outcomes. Thanks for your question and i hope this is helpful.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implant combination surgery #plasticsurgery

In our practice, we would offer a breast lift with small volume breast reduction and a submuscular breast augmentation with a silicone implant. I believe a 'vertical' breast lift technique is best for most patients.

You can get by with implants

IF you are willing to accept subpar results when compared to the best outcomes.  If your nipples are more than a cm below the folds, a lift would be recommended to avoid the nearly 100% dissatisfaction in that situation when a lift is not done.  I have many patients with nipples at or just below the folds who are delighted with their results as they were not expecting perfect and what occurred fulfilled all of their goals.

Curtis Wong, MD

Augmentation Mastopexy

I'm sorry you don't think you need a lift, but you actually do.  Go to a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that perform all forms of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Just curious if a lift is what I need?

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on your photos, you will need an augmentation with a short scar breast lift to get the best results. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

Do I need a lift?

Hi and thanks  for your question. You could certainly benefit from a breast lift and breast augmentation surgery. You have significant asymmetry based upon your photographs. Breast implants will simply enhance your breast of volume but in your case if they were performed  without a left would result in further ptosis or sagging of both breasts. In the end make sure that you see a very experienced surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Pllastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. That is my best advice after 30 years  performing aesthetic plastic surgery. Best of luck! 

Richard Chaffoo, MD,FACS,FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Just curious if a lift is what I need?

From your photos, I would agree with Drs. Corbin and Pousti, if you chose to have breast enhancement you will need a breast lift.  If you would like larger or fuller breasts, a breast augmentation could also be performed.  However, implants alone will not lift the breast or nipples.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Lift

Thank you for the question and photos and YES you would benefit from a lift with or without implants

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Just curious if a lift is what I need?

Thank you for the question and pictures.
Based on your photographs, it is most likely that you will benefit from breast lifting plus/minus breast augmentation surgery. In my opinion, you will not do well with breast augmentation surgery alone.
You will do best by seeking consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.
Generally speaking, patients who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery should understand that this combination surgery is significantly more complex than either one of the procedures done separately. In other words, the combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately.
Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time. This revisionary rate may be as high (or higher) than 20%.
Personally, I find that the breast augmentation/lifting procedure to be one of the most challenging of the breast operations I perform, even compared to somewhat complex revisionary breast surgery. On the one hand, when performing breast augmentation/lifting surgery we are increasing the breast size with breast implants; on the other hand, we are reducing the breast “envelope” in order to achieve the breast lift. These two “forces” must be balanced as perfectly as possible in order to achieve the desired results. Removing too much skin/ breast tissue is problematic; removing too little breast skin/tissue can also be problematic. Remember also that patients presenting for breast lifting surgery and general have lost some skin elasticity/thickness making potential incision line healing problems and/or recurrent drooping/sagging important concerns to communicate.
To achieve a surgical result where the breast implant and breast tissue “come together” and behave like a single breast is one of my goals but can be difficult to achieve. Essentially, we are trying to create a breast implant/breast tissue interface that feels and behaves as naturally ( as a single unit) as possible. Generally speaking, making sure that the breast implant has some sub muscular and some sub glandular component ( dual plane) and tailoring the overlying skin/subcutaneous tissue/breast tissue as precisely as possible over the underlying breast implant is key.
Despite these efforts, breast implants are after all a foreign body that don't necessarily stay where we wish they would; therefore, breast implant related problems such as positioning ( too high, too low, lateral displacement etc.) can occur and may be a reason for returning to the operating room for revisionary breast surgery. I use a “tailor tacking” technique that allows a determination of what breast implant should be used to SAFELY produce the results the patient is looking for. This technique involves use of a temporary sizer and temporary “closure” of the overlying breast skin over the sizer. The use of the tailor tacking technique is very helpful. Breast lifting involves removal of skin ( and tightening of the breast skin envelope) while breast augmentation involves expansion of the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Again, despite these efforts, breast implant and/or tissue/skin complications may arise causing minor or significant complications.
Generally speaking, it is difficult to achieve the “perfect” result with breast augmentation/lifting surgery, despite best efforts. Patients should be aware of the complexity of this combination procedure, achieve REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS prior to proceeding, and understand that additional surgery ( along with the additional recovery time, stress, expenses etc) may be necessary in the short or long-term. Patients should understand that the results of the procedure will not necessarily match aesthetically the results of patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery only.
For example, some patients who wish to maintain long-term superior pole volume/"roundness" or "implanted look" may find that this result is not achieved after the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation.

Potential risks associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery include infection, bleeding, incision line healing problems, loss/change of nipple/areola complex sensation, and blood flow related issues to causing skin or tissue necrosis. Poor scarring, pigment changes, areola/nipple asymmetry etc. are also potential problems. Again, patients may experience implant related problems such as encapsulation, leakage, displacement problems ( too high, bottoming out, lateral displacement, asymmetric positioning etc.), rippling/palpability of breast implants etc. Patients may also be dissatisfied with breast size, shape, and/or how the breast implants and overlying breast tissues “interface” with one another. Occasionally, a breast implant may even have to be removed and the patient will generally be “implant free” for several months at least. Obviously, this situation can be quite physically, emotionally, and psychosocially stressful to the patient involved.

Having discussed some of the downsides and potential risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery, most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry.
I hope that this summary of SOME of the issues surrounding breast augmentation/lifting surgery is helpful to you and other women considering this procedure in the future.
The attached link may also be helpful. Best wishes.

Is a lift needed

Needles to say it depends on what you want from your surgery.
However, implants do not lift the breast and particularly do not lift the nipples. So, if you would like your breasts lifted with the nipples sitting higher and  on the front of your breasts then you need a lift.
If you want larger breasts and are not worried about where the breasts sit and the low position of the nipples you might consider implants but your surgeon would need to be very clear with you about how this would look after surgery.
I think you need to think about what it is you want from your surgery. Looking at before and after photographs may be helpful.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon