Should it be a concern if a plastic surgeon that commonly does Liposuction hasn't heard of Cellfina?

Find the right surgeon

Far more important than deciding if liposuction is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

It is important for doctors to keep up with new technology that is available for their patients. It may or may not have anything to do with your doctors ability to perform liposuction, but if they have not heard of Cellfina, which is being marketed to doctors constantly, I wonder what other beneficial patient procedures your doctor might not be aware of? Attending trainings, being board certified and constantly reading up on the newest information is an important part of being a plastic surgeon. 

Liposuction - what if surgeon has not heard of Celfina?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• The short answer for me, is yes - if you have a qualified plastic surgeon who does a lot of liposuction.
  • Celfina is an expensive machine FDA approved to treat cellulite.
  • There are so many very expensive, heavily promoted machines these days - often with rather unimpressive long-term results - that I could understand any plastic surgeon simply tuning them out although I stay up to date on them because so many patients ask about them.
  • Celfina would not replace liposuction if you need liposuction.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thanks for your question.  Busy Plastic Surgeons don't have a lot of time to constantly keep up on new technology.  In fact, you have to be careful because new doesn't equate to "better" or "safe".  I just reviewed Cellfina and I like it!  I perform about 800 Liposuction per year and this is the first time I have heard of it.  So thanks for bringing it up, I am going to introduce it to my patients!

Dr. Dillon

Paul C. Dillon, MD

If your issue is cellulite then liposuction of course is not going to be helpful.  If on the other hand you have lipodystrophy and need liposculpting and fat reduction then Cellfina becomes irrelevant and finding a plastic surgeon experienced and confident in performing liposuction for you is your best choice.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Cellfina and cellulite treatment #plasticsurgery

Cellfina is a non-invasive device that has FDA approval for 'cellulite treatment' - cellulite is one of the most vexing issues in dermatology. Liposuction is certainly NOT a good treatment for cellulite.

Every Dr is Different -- Cellfina is New, Please Go To An Innovator

I don't want to tell you to be concerned. Most Dr.'s have their favorite treatments. For example, I pair VASER Hi Def liposuction with ultrasound/RF treatments and fat grafting to help with fat removal, contouring, skin tightening and skin appearance. Vanquish or Cellutone are great for cellulite.  Cellfina is the best treatment for long term results if you are a candidate.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer