Help? Need advice on coolsculpting, suresculpt, & thermage of the abdomen. (photos)

Hello, I have lost 60+ lbs after preg. I am within my ideal weight. However, I need help getting rid of stubborn stomach fat + wrinkles. I'm interested in a non-surgical procedure, such as coolsculpting or suresculpt, and thermage. Will this be an option for me? Thanks in advance! P.S. Please no tummy tuck advices, I suffered enough cutting with a c-section.

Help? Need advice on coolsculpting, suresculpt, & thermage of the abdomen.

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in CoolSculpting. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. An in-person assessment is always best.

Non-Surgical Treatment of the Abdomen

If you do not want to consider surgery then a combination of Thermage and Coolsculpting would be the best combination for you.  Coolsculpting would remove any bulge and Thermage would tighten the skin.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

If surgery isn't an option, do sculptsure and skin tightening

Abdominoplasty is the answer that first comes to mind. But if surgery isn't an option, Sculpsure laser fat reduction and some modality for skin tightening seem to be the best fit. Thermage is non-invasive. Cellulaze is more effective but is invasive. Maybe 10-15% improvement.  Abdominoplasty is like 90% correction but recovery is probably as bad or worse than c-section. Best wishes. 

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting/Sculpsure/Liposuction/Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.

The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.

The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.

The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.

It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.

If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.

I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz

Non-Surgical Options For Abdomen

If you are looking for strictly non-surgical options to reduce fat and tighten your loose skin then I think the best option for you would be a combination of CoolSculpting and ThermiTight. An in-person consultation and evaluation would be needed for a more accurate assessment. Please see an experienced provider who offers both treatments. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

What are my best non-invasive options for stubborn fat and wrinkled skin?

Hello JENNALEE916,

Thank you for your question and photo. Congratulations on your significant weight loss post pregnancy. If your desire it to lesson or remove the "stubborn" fat pockets then yes CoolSculpting is a very good choice and will in all likelihood give you this desired outcome; however at the expense of probable more lax skin as the underlying fat pockets are reduced. You will achieve no skin tightening from CoolSculpting or any of the non-invasive fat removal procedures. From your photo you have what appears to be a significant amount of skin laxity (giving you the wrinkles) that would far exceed any "skin tightening" procedures available. It is important to understand this because even though you requested no tummy tuck advice we would be remiss to not inform you of the realistic expectations from a procedure. In my opinion, based on what you have stated as your desired outcome and the photo provided removal of the excess skin (tummy tuck) would be your best option to attain your stated desired outcome. I feel you would ultimately be disappointed pursuing other potentially expensive avenues. Hope this helps you moving forward. Be well. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Laxity of abdominal skin

Laxity of the abdominal skin is one of the most difficult conditions to treat without surgical intervention.   Non-invasively, coolsculpting does tend to work well in patients with laxity to reduce fat; however, the tightening is not significant if at all.  Tightening of the skin with radiofrequency or ultrasound techniques like thermage, ulthera or thermi vary greatly from person to person.   Likely, any tightening treatment will take multiple treatments for optimal effect, especially on the abdomen.  Make sure you have realistic expectations about outcomes.  In the end, you may spend a lot of money for little benefit unfortunately.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Congratulations on your weight loss. Unfortunately your best option is an abdominoplasty. Please contact a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who offers both surgical and non-surgical treatment options. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for your abdomen

Hi Jenna. Congrats on losing over 60 lbs! Thank you for posting a photo of your abdomen. I understand you had a less than ideal experience with your c-section however your best result will still come from a tummy tuck. Coolsculpting is a wonderful treatment and will reduce the amount of fat in your abdomen and flanks. Coolsculpting does not however decrease the amount of excess skin. I don't think any of the non-invasive skin tightening treatments would give you the result you are looking for. The best thing would be to have a consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon on your area to discuss your options.  Good Luck to you!

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Cool Sculpting

Dear JennaLee, You have an ideal area of opportunity for cool sculpting because you could achieve an improved shape on the abdomen and sides. With cool sculpting however you will most definitely get looser looking skin. It will decrease the fat but does not in any way tighten the skin that you have. We have some clients who still choose to move forward despite knowing the skin will appear more loose but only you can answer if that is something you will be comfortable in. I honestly don't think any of the above options would be ideal. Best of Luck!

Timothy Treece, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon