Adhesion after submental lipo. Doctor suggested aggressive massage on that spot. Anything else I can do too? (Photo)

I had submental lipo 12 days ago and the indent below my incision has been there since. The skin seems "stuck" and the spot is tight; I cannot look all the way up w/o first supporting that area with my hand. Otherwise too tight. Doc hints he thinks it's an adhesion when I asked but won't specifically say so, but he said aggressive massage on that spot. Anything else I can do too? What is the prognosis of adhesions in this area? Could the adhesion be why the areas on each side are still swollen?

Adhesion after neck liposuction?

Don't despair.
Things usually improve slowly after liposuction and it is too early to see your final result.

Definitely wear a compression bandage as much as you can.
Gentle massage may help.
Vigorous massage at 12 days can cause bleeding and swelling...I would start cautiously.

If things don't improve by 3 months, discuss options with your surgeon to correct it at 6 months.
If your surgeon is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - consult one before having corrective surgery. Best wishes.

Submental liposuction

Hi Kitty,
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this after your surgery-- it's understandable that you'd be concerned.  However, at 12 days after surgery, there is still a lot of swelling, and your scars are still healing (i.e. far from being soft/maturing).  Massage in this area sounds reasonable, even light massage has a dramatic effect on scars.  In such a mobile area, the scar tends to soften considerably over the first 3 months.  You obviously did your homework on the procedure and your surgeon prior to the surgery-- stay in contact with him and trust his advice unless you find reason to believe otherwise.  It's very easy to get frustrated so soon after surgery, when the long-view is that scars soften, results often improve, and swelling subsides...  If you're still unhappy after 6-9 months, you could consider a revision, but this is seldom required.  Hope this helps,
Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Submental liposuction

Hi, Very sorry to hear of your concern. It is however just 12 days and it could be that everything is being exagerrated by the postoperative swelling on either side. Was the liposuction done with a laser lipo machine?
If your PS has asked you to massage then thats the thing to do, follow up with her/him at 3 months or post those photographs on RealSelf.
please keep us posted
warm regards
Dr Prashant

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Submental adherence post liposuction

Hello Kittykarizma-
It does appear that you have significant adhesions in the central sub-mental area post neck liposuction. Some degree of this is not uncommon with neck liposuction. Make sure that your surgeon does not feel that there is any infection going on in this area. If not, massage and patience is probably the best course. If okay with your physician, you can consider adding some massage with a mechanical massager or even some ultrasound therapy with a physical therapist. 
Hopefully, this central area relaxes and the lateral neck areas become less swollen,...and it gets more nicely contoured with time. 
Good luck. Stay in touch with your surgeon. If not satisfied with him/her and your results in 3-6 months, then consider a second opinion. 

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Complication on Neck

I suggest getting a second opinion.  You may need ultrasound or radiofrequency treatments in addition to massage.  I have seen this before from revision cases of mine in which a second surgery was required to release the tissue and fat graft under to keep the skin from reattaching in this manner.  Massage may help but likely not completely.  Best, Dr. Emer.