6 wks post tummy tuck and have rash like redness on scar (Photo)

I am 6 weeks post op and this morning while showering and washing over incision it was itching and when I got out I noticed a rash like redness on some parts of the scar. Should I worry?

Scar Redness

Redness can be due to a variety of reasons. Most commonly, it is normal scar healing for this time frame or from a suture absess (minor infection around a stitch).  If it is just normal scar redness, this will most likely continue to fade as the scar matures over the next 3-9 months.  A suture abcess, however, may require antibiotics or drainage to resolve.  It’s best to schedule a follow-up visit with your plastic surgeon so they can examine you in person. It is important to keep in touch with your surgeon post op so that they can monitor your healing process.

Postop Skin Reaction

Dear 79935lizette,

This looks consistent either with an allergic reaction to something you are applying whether it be creams, compounds, medicines or tape or else it could represent an early infection. It is hard to say without a physical exam, so you should consult with your plastic surgeon immediately.

I hope this has been helpful

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Rash on scar

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures. It is hard to advise without an exam.  The possible causes include a dermatitis, bacterial infection, allergic reaction, or even a yeast infection--are you using any scar products.etc?  Sometimes that can cause it.  Please call your surgeon's office to discuss.  

Incisional redness

This redness looks more like irritation from tape, soap or some such product that has been in contact with the skin rather than an infection.  Contact your surgeon for an in person evaluation, good luck. Jane