Ruptured Implant. Need Doctor Referrral For Replacement?

I have a rutured implant. Both have been hard since implanted over 10 years ago. They are infront of the muscle. My question is that I oviously have two hard capsules around the implants judging from the hardness of them. I want to remove them and would like to have new ones put in. I live in Michigan and I need the best to do the job because of the silicone leaking. I need some expert referral advice and an experienced surgeon. Could you refer one or two. Does insurance cover any costs

Doctor Answers 8

Ruptured Implant Doctor Referral.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Advice differs based on exam, but it would seem that the best option will probably be implant removal, capsulectomy and possibly submuscular conversion depending on your exam and discussing pros and cons. My suggestion would be to find a board certified plastic surgeon - see the below links to find one in our area.

Ruptured implant referal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Removing a significant capsule and ruptured silicone implants should be bread and butter for a board certified plastic surgeon. Please make sure that your board certified surgeon does aesthetic surgery.   Both the American Society of Plastic Surgeon and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery have web links and doctor finders. 

Good luck and thank you for your question.


Anire Okpaku MD FACS


Anire Okpaku, MD FACS
Miami Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon for revisional breast implant procedure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Please start with visiting the website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and/or the American Soc of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.   Each of these website have a doctor finder tool that will help you find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can assist you to achieve your goals.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

You might also like...

Ruptured Implant. Need Doctor Referrral For Replacement?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should check with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), each of which are only open to members who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They should be able to give you a list of properly trained and certified plastic surgeons in your area.  They will discuss with you how to best treat your issues based upon examination and your history. It sounds like you will need bilateral capsulectomies (removal of the scar tissue contracting around your implants), implant replacement, and consideration of changing your pocket location from above to below the pectoralis muscle which may give you better tissue coverage and possible reduce your risk of recurrent capsular contracture.

Finding Surgeon for Revisionary Breast Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Best wishes.

Ruptured Implant. Need Doctor Referrral

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are number of resources available to help you find a surgeon. There are geographic listings on the RealSelf website. There is also listing on the website of the American Society Plastic Surgeons. 


As a general rule replacing breast implants will not be covered by insurance. However some carriers will have benefits for removal of ruptured silicone implants. You will need to check that with your insurance company.


thanks for the question. Good luck and  best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a breast implant rupture surgeon in Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Ruptured breast implants can be diagnosed on examination in patients who have saline implants, while those that have silicone breast implants can be much more challenging.  A consultation should help direct the diagnosis of silicone breast implant rupture. Surgery90210 Raffy Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

You will likely need at least capsulectomy and implant removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


If you have a capsule contracture you will need the capsule removed as well which is called a capsulectomy, in addition to implant replacement.  Even if the implant is placed under the muscle the over the muscle capsule should be removed as it will prevent the breast implant from looking as round as it needs to.  My colleague Dr. David Alfonso practices in Grand Rapids Michigan if you are near there.  We trained together and have confidence he can take good care of you.

All the best,

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.