Do you believe I have gyno or is it just that I am a guy with a lot of body fat? (Photo)

I will send a before and after picture of 1 month of difference working out.

Do you believe I have gyno or is it just that I am a guy with a lot of body fat?

Schedule an exam with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine if you have gynecomastia.   Based on your photos, I would guess you have gynecomastia.  Best wishes!

Most of the time it is fat. If you have a firmer more glandular feeling of tissue under the areola, then you could have gynecomastia. 

Gynecomastia or Body Fat

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person, is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Gynecomastia vs. body fat

the term gynecomastia just means enlarged male breasts. This can be for any reason, whether it is fat, breast tissue, or both. Most cases of gynecomastia is just a mixture of the two tissue types. The first thing to do is weight loss if you are overweight. If the breast size responds to this, there is your answer. If not, then surgery will be needed if you desire correction.

This information is for educational purposes and is not a substitute for a consultation with a plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Your chest

Thank you for the photos.  There may be a glandular component to your chest concerns.  Liposuction and glandular excision can safely give you a flat chest.  Be sure to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tim Neavin, MD

Is it Fat or Gynecomastia?

If you are unhappy with your breast size then you may want to consider corrective cosmetic surgery regardless of the cause, especially if you are not planning on loosing weight. Gynecomastia simply means that your breasts are too big and has features of a women's breast. There are varying degrees of gynecomastia ranging from puffy nipple to severe breast enlargement and/or breast sag. The severity of the gynecomastia will determine which treatment option is necessary. In most cases, men suffer from standard gynecomastia, which can be surgically treated as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. For more severe cases, it may be recommended that you have your procedure under general anesthesia at an outpatient surgery center. Your consultation will determine which option is best suited for treating your gynecomastia.

Do I have gencomastia or is it just bosy fat?

Gynecomastia involves both breast tissue and fat. Treatment involves ultrasonic liposuction and possible open excision if needed. If your weight is stable, that is you are not going to loose any weight and the size of your breast is a problem then surgery can help. I always recommend my patient to avoid steroids, any over the counter body building products, marijuana and if appropriate loose excess weight. After following these recommendations if breast size is still an issue then we can discuss surgery.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia and body fat storage in males

Your interval photos show persistent fat deposition in the pectoral, abdominal, and iliac hip regions (love handles).  In a general sense this is gynecomastia (male breast size increase), but not likely glandular overgrowth which is gynecomastia in a pure definition of the term.  You should continue to lose weight and tone, as that will help with all contours, but you may be left with some residual storage fat in these areas, and that is the point where liposuction is useful for reduction contouring of fatty gynecomastia, and abdominal and trunk deposition of resistant fat.  Special suction cannulas are often needed for the breasts as there is often a glandular component, even with mainly fatty gynecomastia. I hope that this helps.   Information regarding gynecomastia and male body contouring is found at the lower part of the page linked here. 

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

I think it is likely you have some degree of gynecomastia based on reviewing your photos.  I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in treating gynecomastia.  Some patients with gynecomastia have more fatty tissue and some have more 'fibrous' tissue (hard tissue usually behind the nipples). All patients that have gynecomastia have some degree of both fatty and fibrous tissue.  You want to seek out a plastic surgeon that treats both and ideally with a minimal incision approach to avoid more traditional scars. Good luck!

Do you believe I have Gyno or is it just that I am a guy with a lot of body fat?

It is difficult to say from your photographs alone. Fat feels soft while the central part of Gynecomastia underneath the nipple feels firm. It will be best to make an appointment with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate you and offer choices.

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon