Will Running Injuries Hinder my Surgery?

For the past several months now I have been actively exercising and running. I have shin splints, pretty bad pain on the inside of my shins, and some minor calve and knee pain. It hasn't slowed me down too much. I take mainly acetaminophen, but recently started taking 400 mg. of ibuprofen every other day. I have a liposculpture and breast scar revision scheduled in a couple weeks and I was wondering if the leg pain could cause problems during surgery? Like a blood clot or something like that?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Leg pain does not cause clots

Leg pain does not cause blood clots during surgery.  This will not affect the liposuction or breast procedure.

Thank you for your question. It is best to not be using medications to enable you to run. Let yourself heal, then think about exercise. You are only increasing the severity of injury using medication to keep exercising. Heal first, then exercise. Injuries can increase your risks so get healed before surgery. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

No problem with running injuries and liposculpture

You will be fine.  Have your surgery.  There is no correlation between running injuries and any problems with liposculpture.  Remember no Ibuprofen for 2 weeks before a liposuction.   Remember liposculpture is a marketing term.  All liposuction is liposculpture hopefully.   Liposuction = liposculpture = high definition liposuction = tumescent liposuction = ALL THE SAME.   Don't confuse liposuction with the marketing terms which mean the same thing.  My Best.  Dr C

Running Injuries and Liposuction

I think the red flag in your description is the Ibuprofen. You should minimize this to decrease the risk of bleeding. Also you should be able to walk post surgery as it will give you the single best chance to avoid blood clots.

The ibuprofen should be discontinued due to bleeding concerns.  Acetaminophen may be taken.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Leg Pain Interfering with Upcoming Surgery

The leg pain you are describing doesn't sound like anything that would interfere with your upcoming surgery.  I would however stop the ibuprofen before surgery.  I usually have patients stop all NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) 2 weeks before surgery to help prevent excessive bleeding.  Motrin or Ibuprofen is in this category. This is also true for aspirin, fish oil, large doses of vitamin E.  It is best to contact your plastic surgeon and ask him or her what medicines you should stop ahead of time.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon