It seems I have an infection from Restylane injection. What should I do?

I got a Restylane injection for my face and only my right cheek as swelling/infection. Its very red and swollen. I went back to my doctor and they suspected a infection. Its not 4 days since the injection. Yesterday they put hydraulunic acid injection and forced some of the pus out and put me on antibiotics. I want to know will the antibiotics take care of the problem and what other complications i could have from an infection. Will my face get more worse and how can I restore it like it was before.

Restylane and Infections

Restylane is a wonderful product for facial wrinkles.  An infection from Restylane injections is an extremely rare occurrence.  I would definitely consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections and be monitored closely while you are on the antibiotics.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Antibiotics should take care of your infection, although you need to be consistently monitored and always report symptoms to your injector.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Infection from Restylane injection

Facial infection is very rare but should be cared for properly. To minimize the chances of any side effects ensure that you are utilizing a reputable, experienced, and expert physician injector. In your case, continue to seek your physician's care as he understands the scope of treatment and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Infection following Restylane

Dear thomasa70:

Facial infection following a filler injection is very uncommon particularly when the skin is properly prepped with a antiseptic such as alcohol, betadine or chlorhexidine. 

All facial infections are an emergency when the spot of redness extends beyond the borders of the injection site. Tenderness, red lines, swelling and heat are all signs of spreading infection and should be evaluated emergently by the Emergency Department of a Hospital or the injector.

In your case, it appears that you have been initially cared for but will require on-going monitoring until the infection is resolved. 

It may be necessary to dissolve the Restylane on the right side as it was in your case in order to completely heal the infection. 

You will then have an opportunity to re inject the cheek once again at a later date.

I wish you the best with this!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Infection after restylane injection

Any questions relating to an active infection should be directed to your treating physician. These can be serious and advice on your specific instance is best given by someone who has examined you in person.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon