Round Bump on Nose Bridge After Revision Rhinoplasty

I had Revision Rhinoplasty 5 weeks ago. My first was 14 years ago. At that time, I only had a bump removed. This one did not involve my bridge, but rather shortening and rotating the tip. There were also grafts taken from my septum to help with the tip.

About 3 1/2 weeks later, I noticed a small round bump on the top upper portion of my bridge - which is very straight and not lumpy. The doctor prescribed a z pack and said that it could be cysts, a little infection forming from a suture, or a small piece of cartilage.

He said there is nothing to worry about, but it is painful and has swollen up. Is this common? I did a have a problem with the sutures in my tip dissolving, and they are finally starting to fall out.

Bump after Rhinoplasty Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If I understand your description of surgery correctly, it would be pure speculation to explain a bump occuring in a section of the nose that was not touched during the operation. You say the doctor suggested it might be a suture or a piece of cartilage;

how is this possible if the operation was limited to the tip?

Have you surgeon remove the sutures that bother you.

Hump after rhino revision

The round bump on the bridge of the nose could be related to the cartilage graft, a cyst, or dorsal irregularities across the bridge related to the bony cartilaginous junction. It is impossible to tell without a close physical examination. Since it has only been three-and-a-half weeks since the surgery, it is important to let the healing process take effect, and this may just go away on its own without any intervention.

Please seek a 2nd opinion

Hi,

From your description it sounded like this recent revision was a tip-only revision so you need to ask your doctor, "Why would there be a stitch or cartilage up in the bridge if you did not operate in that area?"

• Cysts can form but true cysts are a result of surgical error. If a small piece of skin or mucous membrane is left under the skin, it can grow into a cyst.
  • Sometimes if bacitracin ointment is applied, it can form a pseudocyst.
  • Infections would not be cysts but rather abscesses.
  • Sutures can harbor infection and abscess.

All of above need attention and either drainage or antibiotics or removal.

You should see your surgeon and get an explanation and possibly seek a second opinion especially if it is tender, red or getting worse.