Otoplasty: Doctor said it is my fault they came out this way. (photos)
Doctor Answers 2
I do agree with you in that your earlobes somewhat asymmetric. Fortunately, there are ways to make them look more symmetric and more natural. This can be done under local anesthesia in the office setting.
Stretched or Gauged Earlobe Repair Should be Performed by Experienced Plastic Surgeon to Avoid Pointy Shape
- The photos you've provided show stretched earlobe piercings that were closed in a straight line without proper removal of earlobe tissue.
- The result is a pointy, unnatural appearing earlobe.
- Here in Seattle, we repair lots of stretched or "gauged" earlobes. These earlobe repairs must be approached differently than a simple torn earlobe piercing.
- It is necessary to excise tissue in both the vertical and horizontal directions in order to shorten and narrow the earlobe in order to end up with as natural an appearance as possible.
- The good news for you is that your earlobes are salvageable, but another procedure will be necessary.
- AND, this procedure should be performed with you awake, using only a local anesthetic, by a plastic surgeon experienced with stretched earlobe repair.
- Thanks for sharing!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.