Should I reach my goal weight before considering mastopexy?

Prenant twice, the second time I reached 278 lbs. Prepregnancy weight was 230lbs. I am now 200lbs. My goal weight is around 150lbs. My nipples have always sat lower, and my areolas are larger than I'd like them to be (seems to have gotten larger with age.) If I got the procedure now and lost more weight, what are the chances of me needing a "touch up?"

Weight ideal

ideally, you should be within 10-15 pounds of your goal weight before considering your procedure. There is a better than 50% chance of the need for a touch up operation if you go on to lose significantly more weight. Good luck

Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss. I would say if you are approaching your goal, then a lift might be reasonable. If you are 50lbs from that goal, and you are actively loosing weight, then I would wait.

Weight loss

Thank you for your question.  You should absolutely wait until you have reached your goal weight before undergoing a mastopexy.  If you lose fifty more pounds, your breasts will most likely continue to sag which will warrant another lift down the road if you were to get a lift now (especially with implants).

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

Goal weight

It would be a good idea to reach your goal weight before getting a breast lift. Your breast will change in size with weight loss and cause them to sag again.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Hello Nikki. Thank you for your question. Losing weight prior to your surgery is a good idea as this will allow you to also reach a stable breast size prior to the procedure. Most women do lose breast volume as they lose weight and this would likely allow you to achieve a better contour as well. Most procedures are able to be performed with the short lollipops scar techniques that are currently available as opposed to the more traditional anchor scar approach. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is trained in these various techniques. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser - St Clair Shores

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Should you reach your goal weight prior to breast lift surgery?

Typically, I tell my patients that they should be within 10-15 pounds of their goal weight prior to moving forward with surgery. If you lose a significant amount of weight after having the breast lift, your breasts may become droopy again. Best of luck!

Brian K. Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

Hello.  I highly suggest you take your time until you have gotten to a stable weight and stayed there for 3 months.  If you do your pixy before that you may need further surgery or have significant sag if you loose a significant amount of weight after.  Good Luck!

Mariam Awada, MD FACS
Southfield Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely wait!

If you lose another 50lbs after breast surgery, there's a good chance you'd need a revision. Or, it may change the plan copletely and you may need a breast implant!  Lose the weight first, then go get checked out.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

With your goal weight being 50 pounds less I would recommend waiting until you are closer to achieving that. I as my patients to be within 10 pounds of their goal before proceeding with surgery. Good luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Should I reach my goal weight before considering mastopexy breast lift?

Absolutely, yes. If you lose weight after the mastopexy the breasts will sag again. It is OK to gain weight after breast lift but not to lose weight.