What are the consequences of not taking antibiotics as prescribes before smart lipo/Brazilian butt lift procedure?

I am scheduled to have smart lipo and brazillian butt lift procedure in 2days. My surgeon prescribed an antibiotic to be taken 2 days before the surgery. However, I traveled for the holidays and forgot to bring the medicine with me. I will be back in town tomorrow and will be able to start my meds 1 day before the procedure. I am afraid if I inform my doctor I missed 1 day of antibiotics that my procedure may be rescheduled or cancelled.

What re the consequences of not taking antibiotics as prescribed before smart lipo/BBl procedure?

Great question.  Antibiotics are usually given through the IV right before surgery after you are asleep when having a monitored anesthesia. This is the standard of care . typically you do not need to start antibiotics 2 days before surgery.  Either way, I would call your doctor, and discuss this with him/her to make sure you are following the right protocol.  Best wishes

Antibiotics before surgery.

many plastic surgeons give an antibiotic immediately before surgery is to begin, typically through an IV.  I have not heard of plastic surgeons prescribing an antibiotic for two days leading up to surgery - perhaps there is a specific concern your plastic surgeon may have.  you should speak with them directly regarding this - online consultants cannot safely answer this.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. There is potentially a higher risk of infection if your antibiotics are not taken. However, the greater concern is why are you needing to take your antibiotics by mouth as these are usually given as an IV 30 minutes prior to your procedure which has been shown to have the highest chance of decreasing your infection rate. Also, the use of smart lipo, which is not usually provided in a hospital setting, suggests that you are having your surgery in a private facility. It would also suggest that you are not having a board certified plastic surgeon perform your procedure. Finally, SmartLipo may not be the ideal choice in fat transfer procedures as heat destroys fat cells and may decrease your overall fat volume retention rate. Although ultrasonic liposuction has been used for fat transfer procedures, it is not currently the method of choice within the world of plastic surgery.

I would encourage you to make sure that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is indeed, even able to have hospital privileges. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser - St Clair Shores

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics and surgery

Most surgeons give a preop dose of antibiotics and do not start them 2 or 3 days before surgery.Best always to discuss with your surgeon.