I was wondering IF it is acceptable to use different HA fillers in the same location interchangeably? ThankYou !

The reason is I have been getting Juvederm Ultra in cheeks for years , but I would like to try Restylane in that area.

Cheek Fillers

Both Juvederm and Restylane have hyaluronic acid as their
main ingredient, which brings volume and water
to the areas to replace volume loss. There
is no contraindication medically for using one or the other. The only factor
would be in patient preference. There are many different fillers within a brand such as Juvederm- Voluma, Ultra, and Ultra
plus. Based on the patient, his or her skin
integrity, and the area being treated, your expert injector should determine
the best option for you with patient preference in mind.  There are times we layer multiple fillers over the each
other for the best effect.  Either
Restylane Lyft or Juvederm Voluma is a great anti-aging treatment for
the cheek area. Best wishes.

Melbourne Dermatologist

Using different fillers

This is a common question but should cause no concern. Both juvederm and restylane are hyaluronic acid fillers and basically achieve the same thing in a safe manner. In fact, it gives the patient an opportunity to compare results which may vary slightly from person to person. Sometimes doctors will in fact inject two different fillers into the same area at the same time to fine tune the final outcome. The important thing is to have an experienced injector. Wish you the best.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it acceptable to use different HA fillers in the same location interchangeably?

Thank you for your question.  Like most doctors I see no issue changing from one HA filler to another as long as they are used symmetrically.  This is due to the fact that the longevity of fillers may vary slightly.  I think the two brands you mention are interchangeable and I think you should get very nice result and a natural outcome.  My thinking is that you are unlikely to notice any difference between the two if done similarly.  Good luck and enjoy your results. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

HA Fillers

Hi there ~ great question.  Using different HA fillers interchangeably
is often okay, but it can become tricky depending on what you’re using. 
Each filler is expected to last a certain amount of time - although many of
them last a similar length of time.  If I use the HA’s interchangeably
then I try to use products that have similar ‘life expectancies’.  Good

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

I was wondering IF t is acceptable to use different HA fillers in the same location interchageably?

In general, the answer to your question is yes, you can use different HA fillers, in the same location, and as Dr. Emer mentioned they can be "layered" on top of one another.  However, different HA fillers have different properties (ratio of gel to fluid, gel concentration, particle size, amount of cross-linking of the HA molecule, etc.) each of these properties can affect the thickness(viscosity) of the gel, its tissue lifting capability, and the length of time the filler lasts before it is absorbed.  Therefore, some fillers which are "thinner" (Restylane, Juvederm Ultra) may be best used more superficially for fine wrinkles or to augment lips; while thicker fillers (Voluma, Radiesse) may be used in the deeper tissues to add volume (cheeks, chin, bridge of nose).  If you want to augment your cheeks you may want to try Voluma.  It has excellent lift capability and can last up to two years.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Augmentation With Fillers, Fat, Sculptra, Implants

Yes, fillers can be "layered" or interchanged based on your individual goals for cheek augmentation.I suggest also adding Sculptra. All of my facial volume and lifting patients get sculptra as their foundation to help build collagen long term, lift, and compliment the use of fillers. Sculptra can be injected the same day as other fillers as well. Please see a facial contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Switching Hyaluronic Acid Fillers

Thank you for your excellent question.  The HA fillers can certainly be interchanged, depending on your needs and goals.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Switching between fillers

Fillers are not mutually exclusive.  In some patients, certain types of fillers may be better depending on the desired results.   But often, different fillers are used in combination both at the same time and different times.  There is no reason that switching should be any problem.  

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Mixing HA Fillers

It is very common to mix HA fillers. Sometimes one will last a little longer or fill a little better, and the only way to find out is to try it out. I have never seen problems with overlaying them, and placing a softer HA over an firmer HA can give excellent results.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Different HA fillers in the same location

Hi there, good question! It is actually very common to try different fillers to see which one gives you the best result. I would say go for it! Hope this helps

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon