Should I expect a tubular correction with my BA? (Photo)

I'm scheduled for a BA on March 17. I am very asymmetrical and we are planning to do a 405 on the right side and a 485 on the left. He said my left breast is tubular. He is planning on doing a lift on the right breast, but didn't mention fixing the tubular breast? I'm wondering if this is something that needs to be fixed or if maybe it's not bad enough to require fixing?

Breast Asymmetry

Although a thorough examination would be required to confirm, I would approach your case differently. I'm a firm believer that you can't get good symmetry if you ignore major discrepancies in either skin or breast tissue, and try to compensate with two different sized breast implants. 

I would not just lift your right breast, but would also reduce it to the size of your left. This type of lift and reduction would require a full anchor scar and would help to create symmetry with the smaller breast. Further, I would lift the left too, to give it a more idealized shape. With this performed, there would be no need for two different sized implants, and the result would be the best possible: same sized implants, same amount of breast tissue, same amount of skin. 

Should I expect a tubular correction with my BA?

Hi and thanks for your question. It does not appear that their is a tuberous breast deformity to the right breast although your surgeon has the advantage of a previous examination. Make sure to discuss your specific concerns with your plastic surgeon and best of luck with the upcoming surgery.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry/BA/Lift

Thank you for the question and photos. Your smaller breast appears to have some slight constriction in the lower pole- which is not uncommon, but it does not appear tuberous. I recommend that you discuss the details of your surgical plan with your Plastic Surgeon so that you feel great about proceeding.

All the best

Thanks for the photos and the question. You are not an simple breast augmentation because of your volume and shape asymmetry but I see nothing in the photos to indicate your smaller breast has a tuberous deformity. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What surgery to do?

From what I can see in your photos, more important than the shape of your breasts is that every parameter we would look at is not even on both sides. One is longer, has a larger areola, has a larger base width, has more skin, then the other. the surgeon whose planning the operation has had the advantage of seeing you in person and in my opinion is the best person at this point to formulate a plan that would work. I do think different size implants will be necessary and some type of the lift on what appears to be your left breast in the last picture on the right ,if you're left-handed, and if you're right-handed it's the right breast from a mirror-image. Good luck with the surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

You have more of an issue with asymmetry than tubular breasts in my opinion

Your surgeon is the one who has had the benefit of examining you in person, and that is of vital importance to the formulation of a surgical plan, but having said that, I can make a couple of general comments about your pictures and the plan that you've outlined.  You are right in your assumption that tuberous, or tubular, breast deformity is sort of along a spectrum, and I'm not sure that I would even define your left breast as tuberous.  It is a bit constricted at the base, but there does not appear to be any herniation of the tissue through the areola, and the overall shape, while a bit tapered, is overall within normal limits in my opinion.  If you saw a really pronounced tuberous breast deformity, you'd agree, I think.  Thus, I'll be your surgeon doesn't feel as though anything other than simple augmentation will be needed to improve the shape of that breast, and based upon just what I see in the images, I would tend to agree.  

The most pronounced issue that I see is the asymmetry.  The right breast is significantly more ptotic, thus I agree that a lift is in order, and there is a noticeable discrepancy in volume and dimensions between the breasts, thus, I agree also that different sized implants are appropriate.  How different is something that you and your surgeon on the scene are best equipped to answer, but the sizes you have mentioned sound about right.  Most times I use sizers intraoperatively before committing to final implants, just to make sure that symmetry is optimal, and your surgeon will probably do this too.  

When you think about it, if we start with two very different breasts and we want to wind up with more similar breasts, it makes sense that we might have to do very different procedures on the two breasts to wind up with something symmetrical.  So it is with your case, and this is like most of these that I am involved in.  Sometimes this seems illogical, but it's not.  If you have any doubts or need further clarification about the surgical plan or expected outcome, be sure to address those with your surgeon now before surgery.  Get all of your questions answered up front.  But is sounds like a reasonable plan to me based upon what you have provided.  Best of luck!

Augmentation Mastopexy for Tuberous Breasts.

Those with #TuberousBreasts are ideal candidates for #BreastLifts. Also, women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume. One side can be tightened more or less than another. In addition #BreastImplants commonly complement a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) .  Such is called #AugmentationMastopexy. 

Without the Breast Lift, the breasts may appear larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. It's also possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. The implant with lift can also re-position the nipples which may have been affected by ptosis or drooping.  One of the primary intentions of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis). Both procedures are commonly done together, in the same surgery to correct the effects sagging and turberous breasts.