Is my nose too wide? If so, what can be done to make it more pleasing and in harmony with the rest of my face? (Photos)

Is my nose too wide? If so, what can be done to make it more pleasing and in harmony with the rest of my face? Please reply!

Nose too wide

Hello and thank you for your question. This would be the time to obtain a consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or Facial Surgery and one who can show you some work done with comparable noses such as yours.  Be relaxed, be patient, and take a parent with you to meet the doctor, and seem if nostril narrowing, bridge elevation, and advancement of the tip slight would be of benefit to you. All noses can be addressed with reconstructive and cosmetic surgery, yet the doctor will assist you, the patient, in determining what is realistic.  On occasion a primary surgery will take away the harshest features of the nose, but down the line, if things are pleasing, you may wish some further adjustments. Your time of recovery to see the new nose should be very much part of the conversation with your surgeon.  Perhaps check with two or more of them to get an idea of any opposing approaches or added details so you can make an educated choice.  Best wishes 

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear Shenreice, If you feel that your nose is to wide for your face then rhinoplasty would be the correct surgical choice to address this concern. Adding some height to the dorsum, narrowing the bridge and reducing the width of the tip and nostrils would provide a nice balance to your facial aesthetics. An in office examination would also determine if you would be a candidate for a small chin implant to help balance your profile. I suggest seeking consultation with some experts in ethnic rhinoplasty, have imaging performed to show you the proposed changes and then make an informed choice. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Is my nose too wide? If so, what can be done to make it more pleasing and in harmony with the rest of my face?

Hello shenreice - Thanks for your question.  Your nose is only too wide if you feel it is too wide.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  If you don't like the width of your nose, it is possible to narrow it at the bridge and nostrils to further complement your appearance.  70% of my rhinoplasty practice involves ethnic rhinoplasty procedures.  In my opinion, to harmonize your nose with the rest of the face, you would need the following:    1. Bridge augmentation 2. Nostril narrowing 3. Nasal lengthening  4. Tip derotation. I would perform these procedures through an open approach that would require the use of cartilage grafting.  I like to use rib graft for DCF graft bridge augmentation, extended spreader graft placement, and tip support grafting.  I would recommend that you consult with an ethnic rhinoplasty specialist in your area for more information. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.
No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a reduction in the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Is my nose too wide?

Prior to proceeding with any surgeries I would recommend consulting with a rhinoplasty surgeon and obtaining a maxillofacial CT scan to further characterize the underlying bony anatomy.  Of course one cannot make a diagnosis based on photos alone, but your profile photo is suggestive of an anatomic variation called Binder's syndrome. If so this would greatly impact the operative plan if you choose to proceed with surgery.
Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions. The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us. In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping. With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Your nose

I do not think the question is correct if your nose is too wide?  A better statement would be if you feel that your nose is too wide.  Based on the post, I am assuming that you feel that your nose is too wide for your face.  If that is the case, I can see what you are saying.I think your nose has:Lack of dorsal height, a broad nasal tip, no supratip break, no dorsal definition, inadequate projection, over-rotation, and a wide alar basei would recommend an ethnic rhinoplasty with a dorsal only augmentation graft, Tip definition, increased projection, reduced rotation, and reduction of the alar basal width

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon