I have long chewed over the idea of rhinoplasty and lip injections, but I would like an outside perspective. (photos)

I have always been self conscious of my nose. But I worry about making such a change. Is it possible to do so in a way that doesn't look completely unnatural? I feel embarrassed and rather vain asking, but in your honest, professional and aesthetic opinion, is my nose too large for my face? Is my upper lip too thin? What procedures would be recommended for a more balanced look without taking away from the individuality of my face?Any input would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Rhinoplasty candidate to narrow a wide nose

The photographs demonstrate a wide nose which can be narrowed with a  closed rhinoplasty procedure which accomplishes making all of the changes with the incisions placed the inside of the nose. To narrow the bridge line requires osteotomies. To narrow the nasal tip cartilages requires suture techniques or a conservative cartilage removal. For more information and  many examples of narrowing a wide nose,  please see the link and video below

Natural Rhinoplasty Result

Your small hump can be removed and your entire nose narrowed while refining you tip. An experienced rhinoplasty specialist will make subtle changes that provide a dramatic natural result that is proportional to your surrounding facial features. Look at the websites of surgeons you're considering to determine if they consistently deliver natural feminine results. I can't be sure with these pictures but do you have a weak chin that could be improved with an implant?

I have long chewed over the idea of rhinoplasty and lip injections, but I would like an outside perspective.

Hello Ivyrosed - Thanks for your question.  To begin with, I would avoid injecting any fillers into your upper lip.  You have a beautiful, natural offset in size between the upper lip and the lower lip.  This is a sign of youth.  My opinion would be to leave it alone. As far as your nose is concerned, it is a bit wider through the middle in relation to other aspects of your face.  A conservative rhinoplasty to narrow the bridge and tip structures would go along way towards harmonizing your facial features. I would recommend that you consult with a rhinoplasty specialist in your area for more information.  I would also recommend that you have rhinoplasty simulations to educate about the possible outcome for your nose with rhinoplasty surgery. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a more feminine and attractive nose.

Rhinoplasty for a more feminine and attractive nose. A rhinoplasty done by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in a conservative manner will give you what you want. Your lips are fine. A browlift can be done to give a brighter appearance to your face which looks sad. This can be done at the same time or when it bothers you. 

Rhinoplasty and lip injections

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.   Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.Filling the upper lip conservatively can be performed separately or with the rhinoplasty.

Robert Singer, MD FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon