Recent Root Canal Through an Existing Crown. Having Worse Pain After Procedure?

I recently had a root canal through an existing crown. Since the procedure I am feeling worse pain than before. I went back and was told that the pain I am feeling is not that tooth but a bottom tooth and that I need another root canal. I said the pain is coming from the upper and that I feel the pain right where I got the root canal. I was told that the pain is radiating up from the bottom. I am having a hard time believing that this pain I am feeling has nothing to do w/my root canal.

Doctor Answers 5

Hard Time Believing Your Dentist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }} pretty much answered your own question.  You feel and believe that the root canal is the problem and your dentist does not!  Go seek a second or even third opinion from an endodonist, who specialize in root canals.  Sometimes other opinions shed light on something and either your dentist is right, or you know what you are talking about!  Do not stay with a dentist who you feel is not treating your problem by listening to you, Set up some consultations with specialists in your area. Your will be more comfortable with a few more professional opinions.

Valencia Dentist

Worse Pain After Root Canal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very possible for referred pain from a lower tooth feel like it's coming from the opposite jaw. Seek a second opinion if you do not trust your own dentist.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Dentist

Seek Another Opinion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The solution is simple.  Seek out an endodontist for a second opinion. They are dentists that are highly trained in diagnosing these types of problems and should be able to sort this out for you.

Good Luck!

Gary Nack, DDS
Philadelphia Dentist

Dental Crown Pain After A Root Canal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To be safe I would seek a second opinion from an Endodontist (root canal specialist).  He/she will test several upper and lower teeth to evaluate if the pain is coming from the tooth that you suspect.  My guess is that it is.  Good luck.

Worse pain after root canal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on what you have told us I would seek a second opinion from another dentist or even better an endodontist who is trained at only doing root canal therapy.  They will help you decide what tooth needs to be done. 

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.